How to buy the best washing machine New washing machines
No one knows washing machines like we do. Which? has been testing washing machines for fifty years, so you can be confident that our expert independent washing machine reviews are the best resource available for guiding you to right machine for your home and lifestyle.
Read on for our expert advice on how to bag brand new washing machine bargain, get it installed and delivered, and find out how to dispose of your old machine.
What do I need to consider when choosing a washing machine?
The key features and specifications you should consider when looking for the right machine are:
- Size - what space does your machine need to fit into?
- Drum capacity - how much you can fit in the drum, measured in kilos.
- Spin speed - many machines boast a high 1400 revolutions per minute (rpm), 1600rpm or even 1800rpm spin speed rather than the more common 1200rpm, which helps save clothes drying time.
- Colour and style - not all machines are plain white boxes. You can find washing machines to suit most kitchen styles and colour schemes.
- Cleaning and rinsing ability - there are huge differences in how well washing machines clean, rinse and spin. Our washing machine reviews can guide you to the best.
Get the full lowdown on these features on our Which washing machine? page. Once you've worked out what type of model you're after, use our washing machines comparison tool to sort the Best Buys from the best avoided. You can sort by price, type and performance ratings to tailor your search according to your personal preferences.
How do I find the best price for a washing machine?
Do your research and compare new washing machine prices from different stores to see who's offering the cheapest deals, so you're not missing out on specific shop sales and discounts. Online stores can offer cheaper prices than the high street, especially when you factor in online-only special discounts and online discount codes.
If you can be flexible about the time of year you look for a new washing machine, you could find a good bargain in the January or summer sales. Alternatively, look out for stores offering weekend-long discounts on appliances including new washing machine models over bank holidays.
Online price aggregating tools – such as the compare prices feature in all Which? washing machine reviews – can do the hard work for you. They can trawl the internet to find the cheapest prices on different washing machine models and are a good place to start if you've got a specific washing machine in mind.
Our expert guide to getting discounts on products can also help you find a good deal on a new washing machine.
How much does washing machine delivery and installation cost?
When it's time to replace your machine, you'll want your new washing machine delivered and installed before you run out of clean clothes. Delivery times vary but, if the model is in stock, standard delivery is often free of charge and takes about five working days. Many stores offer an express delivery option too, usually for an additional cost.
Collecting it yourself from the store won't necessarily mean you get it more quickly, as not all models are held in stock. They're heavy, too, so unless you have a helper with a van it may be better to let the store's team do the work.
|Typical delivery and installation costs|
|Shops||Standard delivery||Express/48 hour delivery||Remove old appliance||Installation|
|Currys||Freea||From free to £18.99b for online orders, £28 for in-storec||Free||£20|
- Standard free delivery takes from two days if ordered online, but around two weeks for in-store orders.
- Free standard delivery from two days, standard next day delivery £10, two day specified time slot £10, next day specified time slot £16. For weekend delivery add £2.99.
- Express delivery orders from in-store are delivered next day. Add £20 for a weekend day.
- Included in the price of 'Express' items.
- Included in the price of 'Connect and collect' items, includes delivery, removal and installation.
The prices shown above are correct as of May 2013 and are subject to change - contact stores directly for more information. Installing your washing machine yourself could reduce costs.