Built-in ovens: Best Buys
Most ovens really look the part, but, unfortunately, you can't tell how good an oven is by looking at it in the shop. There are massive differences between the best and worst ovens we've tested. Poor ovens take forever to heat up, don't heat to the temperatures you set and fail to spread the heat right around the oven itself.
Every year our experts at the Which? Test Lab bake more than 100 metres of shortbread for use in our oven heat distribution tests - the best ovens will produce evenly browned shortbread and the worst will leave the shortbread burnt in some areas while not being cooked in others.
- We set each oven to heat to high and low temperatures, and we record how long they take to reach their target and how accurate they are. Best Buys get very close to the set temperatures, but the least accurate ovens can overheat by more than 40°C.
- We use fake turkeys and fake chickens to see exactly what you can fit inside each oven we test - the most roomy ovens can easily accommodate a roast turkey and a tray of roast potatoes.
- We use 1,000 slices of white bread each year in our grill tests - the best grills evenly brown more than 90% of the white bread. The worst struggle to brown more than 40%.
Find the best built-in ovens around and the best online prices by taking out a £1 trial to Which?.
Video guide: what makes a Best Buy built-in oven
Built-in oven reviews you can trust
Models from the biggest built-in oven brands are tested at the Which? Test Lab – including AEG, Bosch, Beko, Belling, Hotpoint, Indesit, Siemens and Zanussi. We test gas and electric ovens, single and double ovens including double built-under ovens which fit snugly under a counter. Best Buys all do brilliantly in our tests but they don't have to cost a fortune - some of our Best Buy ovens are great value for money.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
More ways to save money
Which? reviews thousands of products and services each year, shedding the light on the best and worst and helping you with your everyday decisions. With advice and reviews on everything from energy suppliers and high street shops to ebook readers, cars and mobile phones, Which? can help you save money.
Try a £1 trial membership, and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help, plus you'll get access to Which? Local, where members share recommendations for the best services in your area.
- Reviews of 60 built-in ovens: single electric, double electric and gas
- 12 Best Buy built-in ovens for great results with each meal
- Reviews of built-in oven from 23 companies