Electric blanket reviews: Features explained
Types of electric blanket
Just like regular sheets and bedding, electric blankets come sized to fit different types of beds, from single sheet electric blankets for smaller beds through to king-sized electric blankets. All the electric blankets we’ve tested are standard double-bed sized.
Electric blankets typically fall into two categories – the first being over-blankets (or heated throws). These are more flexible as they can rest on top of your bedding or be used when you're sat on the sofa. The second type are under-blankets (sometimes called mattress toppers). These fit over your mattress and you sleep on top of them. All the electric blankets we’ve tested are under-blankets as they are the more popular type.
Useful electric blanket features
Check what settings are available with your electric blanket - there's usually more on offer than a simple on/off switch. Look for:
• Timer programs for automatic switch off after a pre-set amount of time.
• Multiple heat settings so your can adjust the temperature of your electric blanket.
• Temperature sensors that allow you to keep your bed at a consistent temperature all night.
• Electric blankets which are machine washable and can be dried in a tumble dryer.
• Electric blankets that are fitted, like a fitted sheet, to keep them in place.
More bed and mattress advice from Which?
Our specialist mattress survey reveals typical prices and the best and worst mattress brands on the market, including our verdict on Silentnight, Tempur and Sleepeezee. Plus find out how to look after your mattress to maximise its longevity.