Steam cleaners: Best Buys
Steam cleaners and mops should take the time and effort out of cleaning – but buy a bad model and it won't save you time compared to traditional ‘hands on’ methods.
Video guide: What makes a Best Buy steam cleaner?
Want to clean your home with ease without using chemicals?
We reveal which steam cleaners will save you time and effort, and expose the models that will let you down - take out a trial to Which? to discover the benefits.
To uncover the best and worst models, we test steam cleaners on grubby tiles, stained and crumpled fabric, oily glass and dirty ovens. We put steam mops to work on tricky stains such as muddy footprints, sticky jam and the dreaded dried-on pasta sauce.
- We rate steam cleaners' ability to remove each stain and how easy the mop or handheld is to use, so you’ll know how well-suited a steam cleaner is to you and your needs.
- Before we weigh a steam cleaner, we always make sure we fill its tank first. That way you’ll know the true weight of the device before you have to haul it up the stairs.
- The worst steam cleaners leave water everywhere and don't make the cleaning easier than if you'd done it by hand – while a Best Buy will save you time and effort.
- Reviews of 86 steam cleaners: steam mops and handheld steam cleaners
- 11 Best Buy steam cleaners for easier cleaning
- Reviews of steam cleaners from 27 companies
Steam cleaner reviews you can trust
In the last year, we spent over 220 hours boiling water in steam mops, handhelds and cylinder steam cleaners - just to find out how long each device took to steam a full tank of water, and to find out how cylinder steam cleaners cope with repeat use.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
More ways to save money
Which? reviews thousands of products and services each year, shedding the light on the best and worst and helping you with your everyday decisions. With advice and reviews on everything from energy suppliers and high street shops to ebook readers, cars and mobile phones, Which? can help you save money.
Try a trial membership and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help, plus you'll get access to Which? Local, where members share recommendations for the best services in your area.