Steam cleaners: Best Buys
Ready to invest in a steam cleaner?
Steam cleaners and mops should take the time and effort out of cleaning – but buy a bad model and it won't save you time compared to traditional ‘hands on’ methods.
To uncover the best and worst models, we test steam cleaners on grubby tiles, stained and crumpled fabric, oily glass and dirty ovens. We put steam mops to work on tricky stains such as muddy footprints, sticky jam and the dreaded dried-on pasta sauce.
- We rate steam cleaners' ability to remove each stain and how easy the mop or handheld is to use, so you’ll know how well-suited a steam cleaner is to you and your needs.
- Before we weigh a steam cleaner, we always make sure we fill its tank first. That way you’ll know the true weight of the device before you have to haul it up the stairs.
- The worst steam cleaners leave water everywhere and don't make the cleaning easier than if you'd done it by hand – while a Best Buy will save you time and effort.
Take out a trial to Which? to discover the benefits. We reveal which steam cleaners will save you time and effort, and expose the models that will let you down.
Video: What makes a Best Buy steam cleaner?
We test thousands of products each year at Which? in a controlled environment that enables us to accurately repeat each test on each product - meaning our reviews are directly comparable. We buy the products we test ourselves, and go through great lengths to shape our test programmes to match the way you use the products. Find out more about how we test steam cleaners and how we find the models that deserve to be Best Buys in the video below.
Reviews you can trust
In the last year, we spent over 220 hours boiling water in steam mops, handhelds and cylinder steam cleaners - just to find out how long each device took to steam a full tank of water, and to find out how cylinder steam cleaners cope with repeat use.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
More ways to save money
Which? reviews thousands of products and services each year, shedding the light on the best and worst and helping you with your everyday decisions. With advice and reviews on everything from energy suppliers and high street shops to ebook readers, cars and mobile phones, Which? can help you save money.
Try a trial membership and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help, plus you'll get access to Which? Local, where members share recommendations for the best services in your area.
- Reviews of 73 steam cleaners: steam mops and handheld steam cleaners
- 6 Best Buy steam cleaners for easier cleaning
- Reviews of steam cleaners from 29 companies