Steam irons: Best Buys
Has your iron run out of steam?
If it's time to upgrade your iron, our independent reviews can help you find a model that'll glide through your laundry pile in record time. Which? expertly reviews and rates irons to uncover the most powerful models that will keep steaming each time you iron - and we help you avoid those models that just leave creases in your clothes and an ache in your arm.
We test all of the top-selling steam irons and generators, including supermarket-own models and those from big brands.
- Every year, our ironing expert steams through about 180 light summer skirts, crumpled cotton shirts and heavy linen trousers. So whatever’s in your laundry pile, you can be sure our Best Buy steam irons and generators will help you make light work of smoothing out stubborn creases.
- Our expert lab testers rate how noisy an iron is. So if you like to watch TV while you iron, you can pick a Best Buy that won’t hiss and splutter over the sound of your favourite programme.
- We reveal the poor-performing steam irons that don’t get rid of creases and will take you longer to work through your ironing pile.
The worst steam irons have low steam levels, drag across fabrics and quickly clog up. Make sure you pick a Best Buy model with a trial to Which?
Video: what makes a Which? Best Buy?
We test thousands of products each year at Which? in a controlled environment that enables us to accurately repeat each test on each product - meaning our reviews are directly comparable. We buy the products we test ourselves, and go through great lengths to shape our test programmes to match the way you use the products.
Find out more about how we test products and how we find the models that deserve to be Best Buys in the video below.
Steam iron reviews you can trust
We’ve tested steam irons and generators from the biggest brands in our labs, including models from Bosch, Breville, Morphy Richards, Philips, Rowenta, Russell Hobbs and Tefal. We’ve found top-scoring and poor-performing models from all of these big names.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
More ways to save money
Which? reviews thousands of products and services each year, shedding the light on the best and worst and helping you with your everyday decisions. With advice and reviews on everything from energy suppliers and high street shops to ebook readers, cars and mobile phones, Which? can help you save money.
Try a trial membership, and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help, plus you'll get access to Which? Local, where members share recommendations for the best services in your area.
- Reviews of 103 steam irons; traditional and power steam models.
- 38 Best Buy steam irons that iron your clothes excellently.
- Reviews of steam irons from 18 companies.