Prepaid cards Sterling prepaid cards reviewed
Best sterling prepaid cards
If you're travelling abroad to a country that doesn't use the Euro or US Dollar as its main currency, or if you're travelling to more than one country, a Sterling prepaid card could offer great value.
If you're heading to the Eurozone or the USA, a Euro- or Dollar-denominated prepaid card may offer better value.
Scenario 1: Total cost of making two €50 purchases and three €50 cash withdrawals from an ATM abroad, based on average exchange rates offered over 6 separate days June 2013. We also factor in load and cash withdrawal fees.
Scenario 2: As scenario 1, but making five $50 purchases and five $50 cash withdrawals (provider's fees included)
DC - Debit Card
- Amount includes 1% cashback, offered between 1 December 2012 and 31 December 2013
- Minimum load is £50. Load fee for credit card is 2%.
- £9.95 purchase fee
- Minimum load is £100, limit of 2 withdrawals per day and 4 withdrawals over 5 days. £4.50 charge to remove unused money from the card.
- Based on Caxton FX's Global Traveller Visa.
- £9.95 purchase and annual fee. Minimum load is £50. Load fee for credit card is 2.5%
- 1% cashback can be earned on purchases. Load fee for credit card is 2.5%. £2 inactivity fee if the card is not used for 12 consecutive months. £5 fee to cancel the card.
- Minimum load is £10. Load fee for credit cards is 2.5% and there is £5 fee to cancel the card.
- There is an additional 50p charge for each point of sale transaction abroad
- £2 monthly inactivity fee if the card is not used for 12 consecutive months. Minimum load is £50. £4 over counter fee to retrieve unused money, £10 negative balance charge
- £9.95 purchase fee, £4.95 annual fee thereafter. 3.99% load for credit cards
- Exchange rate set by Endsleigh
Wherever we display an “APPLY NOW” button in the above table, that company pays us a small fee each time someone clicks on the button. These payments do not influence whether a product is in the table, where it appears, or whether it continues to do so. Our Best Rates tables are compiled by our independent researchers. All revenue raised from these tables is reinvested in our research and campaigning work on behalf of all UK consumers.