Home insurance Which? Recommended Providers
Few insurers are good enough to be Which? Recommended Providers. To be recommended by Which?, a home insurer must satisfy our experts that its standard policy offers good cover and it must also satisfy its customers through great customer service.
Which? experts scrutinised 40 home insurers’ standard buildings and contents insurance policies, and combined our analysis of cover with feedback from thousands of customers. We have rated each policy on its key aspects, including amount of cover provided, to produce a Which? policy score as well as a customer score, based on how they were rated by customers.
Separately, we also asked customers to tell us about their claims experience, which has been rated as a claims satisfaction score, based on how they were rated by customers.
To qualify as a Which? Recommended Provider, an insurer must:
- Be regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
- Be available to the general public
- Have received responses from 30 or more customers in our customer survey
- Have received an average or above policy score (see table for current average score) and a customer score of 70% or above
Click on the WRPs in the table below to see full details of its customer score and policy elements. Table updated every six months. Next updated in December 2014. For more information about individual policies read our home insurance reviews.
|Home insurance - Which? Recommended Providers|
|Insurer||Which? Recommended Provider||Customer|
|Building policy score||Contents policy score||Total score|
|Marks & Spencer Bankb||67%||80%||81%||74%|
|John Lewis Insuranced||72%||73%||70%||72%|
|The Co-operative Insurance||62%||64%||65%||63%|
|Bradford and Bingley||66%||56%||61%||62%|
|AA Insurance Servicese||59%||64%||62%||61%|
|Royal Bank of Scotland||57%||64%||64%||60%|
|Legal & General||57%||64%||64%||60%|
|Bank of Scotlandei||57%||61%||66%||60%|
|Endsleigh Insurance Servicese||52%||57%||62%||53%|
Customer score data based on a survey of 5,061 respondents from the general public telling us about their home insurance provider in May 2014. Policy scores are based on the provider's standard policy. Buildings and Contents policy score is our assessment of the quality of standard policies from each of the providers, comparing 38 and 54 categories from each policy type respectively to come out with each overall score. Providers must receive a minimum sample size of 30 respondents to generate a customer score and inclusion in the table. We have been unable to include Ecclesiastical and Hiscox as both brands did not receive a large enough sample size for inclusion. Total score is made up of 50% of the Customer score and 25% each of Buildings and Contents policy scores.
- Nationwide also have a policy called 'Essentials' which scores 73% for its Building policy and 71% for its Contents policy
- M&S also have a policy called 'Premier Cover' which scores 90% for its Buildings policy and 84% for its Contents policy
- Policies only available via direct sales forces and local agents and may not cover all risks or postcodes (particularly in major cities). Check on 0800 3164661
- Policy score is based on the Plus Policy. John Lewis also have two other policies - 'Essentials' which scores 66% for its Building policy and 67% for its Contents policy and 'Premier' which scores 80% for its Buildings policy and 83% for its Contents policy
- Provider chooses from a panel of insurers
- Since August 2013, RIAS's home insurance policies are fully owned and underwritten by Ageas
- Customers must be over 50
- Sainsbury's also have a Premier policy which gets a 73% Buildings policy score, 82% contents policy score
- Policy score shown is for Home Options which is available online. 'Home Solutions' is only available in branch and gets 72% for its Buildings policy and 76% for its Contents policy.
How we calculate customer and policy scores
We calculated the customer scores and claims satisfaction scores using a combination of overall customer satisfaction and the likelihood of recommending the provider to a friend.
We calculated the policy scores by rating the most important elements of the policy including personal belongings limit, renewal fees and interest charged on payment by installments.
The total score combines both the customer score and policy score.