Choosing a care home Contacts

Long term care advice

Which? has launched an elderly care website ( care), offering free, independent and practical advice about caring for older people across the UK. It covers your relative's needs, housing options and financing care. Includes both home care (domiciliary care) and residential care (care homes).  


Local authorities
Arrange needs and funding assessments as well as fund some people’s care

Primary care trusts 0845 4647
Assess your needs and pay registered nursing and continuing care contributions

Care Quality Commission 03000 616161

Lists and inspects all homes and can handle complaints

Pension Service 0845 606 0265

Northern Ireland

Health and social care trusts
Assess needs and fund some people’s care

Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority 028 9051 7500
Holds lists of and inspects homes and handles complaints

Department for Social Development 028 9082 9028
Handles pensions


Local authorities
Arrange needs and funding assessments and pay personal and nursing contributions

Scottish Commission for the Regulation of Care 01382 207100
Lists all homes, arranges needs and funding assessments as well as funding some people’s care

Pension Service See ‘England’


Local authorities See 'England'

Local health boards 0845 4647
Pay nursing care contributions or fully funded NHS care

Care and Social Service Inspectorate Wales 01443 848450
Same function as English commission

Pension Service See ‘England’

Independent advice

Age UK 0800 1696565
Age UK England
Age NI
Age Scotland
Age Cymru

Citizens Advice

Counsel and Care 0845 300 7585

Elderly Accommodation Counsel 020 7820 1343

Relatives’ and Residents’ Association 020 7359 8136

Care home lists

Housing Care 020 7820 1343

Better Caring 0844 414 6370

Which Ltd is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Which? Financial Services Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Which? Mortgage Advisers, Which? Insurance Advisers and Which? Money Compare are trading names of Which? Financial Services Limited.