Find unclaimed assets How to find lost bank and savings accounts

Bank and savings accounts

Bank and savings accounts are easy to trace

How to find lost bank accounts

Lost bank, building society and National Savings and Investments (NS&I) accounts are easy to trace, as there are good systems already in place to help you do this.

If you know which provider your account was with, all you need to do is collect a tracing form from any branch, or print one off from the British Bankers' Association or Building Societies Association websites.

It is only one page long, and asks you the name of the account holders, the addresses lived at since the account was opened, the account number and sort code, and type of account. You don't have to provide all the information, but the more you can give, the more likely they are to be able to find any unclaimed money. Send the form directly to the bank or building society or take it to any branch. 

If the provider finds an account that matches your information, it will contact you to explain how you can access the unclaimed funds, including any interest, in the account. You will need to provide proof of identity in order to access the money. 

NS&I also runs a tracing service for unclaimed money. You simply fill out a two-page form but it can take up to 12 months for a response.

If you're unsure which provider your lost account is with, or the organisation no longer exists, then try You can search 42 banks, all UK building societies and all NS&I products free of charge by completing just one form online. The search can take up to 12 weeks to complete. If an account in your name is found, you'll be contacted directly by the provider within 90 days.

You can also use the postal services operated by the British Bankers' Association, Building Societies Association and the NS&I if you prefer not to do it online. You'll need to complete a separate form for each.

More on this...

Which? Limited (registered in England and Wales number 00677665) is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Which? Financial Services Limited (registered in England and Wales number 07239342). Which? Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 527029). Which? Mortgage Advisers and Which? Money Compare are trading names of Which? Financial Services Limited. Registered office: 2 Marylebone Road, London NW1 4DF.