Digital cameras: Best camera brands
- We compare Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Sony cameras
- Find out a manufacturer's average test score and Best Buy hit rate
- See how many cameras we've tested from different manufacturers
When it comes to buying a camera, sometimes it’s tempting to trust in a Canon or a Nikon. But are they really the best camera brands on the market?
Panasonic won our Best Photography Brand at the 2014 Which? Awards, and Sony was nominated alongside Canon and Nikon for the top gong. As always, you'd be well-advised to look at all the top brands when searching for your perfect camera.
To speed this process along, we’ve compiled the best camera brands into two easy-to-read tables: one for digital and bridge cameras, the other for DSLR and compact system cameras. This way you can check across our testing to see whether Canon, Nikon, Panasonic or Sony come out on top.
Which? members can log in to find out:
- The average score each brand achieves in Which? digital camera tests
- How many models from each brand have been awarded Best Buy status
- The pros and cons of different digital camera brands, and whether you should buy their cameras
If you're not already a Which? member, try a £1 trial membership for instant access to all of our reviews.
Best camera brands: Canon vs Nikon vs Panasonic vs Sony
How we select a Best Buy camera
Which? tests more than 100 cameras a year. We put models from all the major manufacturers through our rigorous lab tests to make sure we only recommend the best cameras.
Picture quality is the most important test for us - that's why we take indoor shots and outdoor shots when we test each camera, as well as putting its flash and zoom through their paces. This means you can be sure that our Best Buy models can take great shots in even the most trying conditions. But that’s not all we look for in a camera. We also assess the quality of the video footage it records and judge whether the camera's easy to use.
Our tests are unbiased and our reviews are independent.