Digital cameras: Best camera brands
- The best camera brands for reliability revealed
- Verdicts on brands like Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Sony
- Find out the camera brands you can trust
81% - 90%The range of reliability scores
for digital camera brands
Every year we survey thousands of Which? members about their AV products to find out which are the most - and least - reliable. Our unique survey helps us to identify the brands that people trust, and would recommend to a friend, with verdicts on camera brands like Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Sony.
To find out the digital cameras that came top in our rigorous tests, head over to our Best Buy cameras.
Best compact cameras for reliability
Digital cameras can be expensive - especially if you're buying a rugged model or one with a big zoom - but the good news is that they're generally very reliable products.
The table below shows the reliability scores for Canon, Fujifilm, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung and Sony. The highest-scoring brand of camera achieved a reliability score of 90%, whereas the least reliable camera brand scored 81%. Lesser scoring brands will leave you not only disappointed, but also out of pocket; that's why we recommend buying a reliable camera brand.
Common compact camera problems
Thanks to our unique survey, we're able to identify the most common problems when things do go wrong with a compact camera. Of all of the issues experienced by camera owners, the most common problems are:
- Deterioration of picture quality (16%) - over time, picture quality can degrade thanks to dirt/dust in the lens or issues with the camera sensor. This was the most common problem.
- Stopped taking pictures (13%) - there's not much use to a digital camera that's unable to actually take a photo.
- Developed a fault with the battery/charger (13%) - issues with the battery and/or charger are a common problem, with batteries failing or chargers unable to recharge the battery.
Digital camera reviews
Our annual reliability surveys helps us understand which are the most common digital camera problems. Combined with our extensive lab tests, this means we can recommend the best digital camera for you to buy. We test how easy the camera is to use from initial setup to doing everyday tasks; plus technical testing that includes image quality, light sensitivity, image stabilisation and recording with video.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test, so our advice helps you to make the right choice and avoid costly mistakes.