Digital cameras: Best Buys
We test cameras from the best brands including Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Samsung, Fujifilm, Pentax and Sony.
We don't only test compact cameras either - waterproof cameras, bridge cameras, superzoom models and DSLRs are also put through their paces with each digital camera undertaking a series of meticulous tests.
Video guide: what makes a Best Buy digital camera?
Digital camera reviews you can trust
Get past a camera's specification and find out which models we recommend for taking the best pictures with a £1 trial to Which?.
As well as measuring image quality, colour and resolution, we simulate real life situations to see how the digital camera handles less-than-perfect situations. We test digital camera image stabilisation, taking pictures in low lighting and measure how fast the shutter speed is to make sure you don't miss the action.
Which? Best Buy digital cameras aren't just about the most expensive, feature-packed models. We also award Best Buys at lower price points so that it's easy to find the best digital camera within your budget.
There are big differences between the best and worst digital cameras on the market. At Which? our experts test hundreds of digital cameras every year, so you can get your hands on a Best Buy digital camera and avoid those that are in danger of missing the magic moments.
- Our testers take photos in bright and dark lighting conditions, with and without using the flash, to find the cameras that take the best photos whether you're at home, on your holidays or partying the night away.
- We test the face detection on each camera to check it will keep your friends in focus even if they're at different distances from the lens. We also see how effectively the image stabilisation will counter movement from your hands.
- Camera video functions are also put through their paces in different lighting conditions, to see how well a compact camera can capture video footage and audio.
- New tests on rugged, waterproof cameras ensure that they can take knocks and bumps and won't leak when used underwater.
- Tests on wi-fi connectivity have also recently been added to ensure they're easy for sharing photos with friends and simple for uploading to Facebook or YouTube.
- Reviews of 141 digital cameras – compacts and superzooms.
- 42 Best Buy digital cameras for great picture quality.
- Reviews of digital cameras reviewed from 9 brands.
More ways to save money
Which? reviews thousands of products and services each year, shedding the light on the best and worst and helping you with your everyday decisions. With advice and reviews on everything from energy suppliers and high street shops to ebook readers, cars and mobile phones, Which? can help you save money.
Try a £1 trial membership, and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help, plus you'll get access to Which? Local, where members share recommendations for the best services in your area.