PVRs: Best Buys
Freeview, Freesat, Sky Digital or Virgin Media? Standard or high-definition? It's a complicated market and finding the best PVR for your needs is tricky, but our reviews can help you through the maze.
Which? tests every new PVR that's launched for each TV platform - from supermarket models to big brands. After eight weeks putting them through their paces in the Which? lab, we know which models are the best and which you need to avoid. And there are bargains to be had if you know where to look.
- Our experts scrutinise the picture and sound quality to make sure they're up to scratch. Both high-definition and standard-definition TV programmes are assessed so you can be sure your PVR is delivering top-notch quality whatever show you're watching
- We measure the energy use of all PVRs when switched on and in standby, so our reviews can help you save energy (and money)
- Our lab tests represent real life living room scenarios, so you'll know exactly how easy it is to record and play back programmes, how fiddly the remote control is and how easy each PVR is to set up
Find the best PVRs around and avoid getting stuck with a dud by taking out a £1 trial to Which?
What makes a Best Buy PVR?
PVR reviews you can trust
Our labs test models from the biggest PVR brands on the market - including Humax and TVonics - and we've discovered that even the most trustworthy names occasionally slip up. We guarantee a Best Buy PVR will be easy to set up, will offer straightforward recording and playback of TV programmes, give you great sound and picture quality and won't have you throwing the remote control across the room in frustration.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
More ways to save money
Which? reviews thousands of products and services each year, shedding light on the best and worst and helping you with your everyday decisions. With advice and reviews on everything from energy suppliers and high street shops to ebook readers, cars and mobile phones, Which? can help you save money.
Try a £1 trial to Which? and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help, plus you'll get access to Which? Local, where members share recommendations for the best services in your area.
- Reviews of 42 PVRs: Freeview, Freeview+, Sky and Virgin.
- 12 Best Buy PVRs to ensure you don't miss a thing.
- Reviews of PVRs from 22 brands, including Humax, Sagem, TVonics and Panasonic.