It can be difficult spotting a scam, and fraudsters are often very cunning - catching people out is often their full-time job.
Watch our video to see what to look out for, and use our handy tips to spot a scam.
How to spot phishing emails
Watch our video for guidance on what to look out for and what to do if you fall victim to a phishing email.
Seven ways to spot a scam
Avoid falling for scams by asking yourself the seven simple questions below. If you answer yes to any of the following, there's a good chance its a scam.
- Were you contacted out of the blue?
- Does the deal seem to be too good to be true?
- Have you been asked to pass on any personal or financial details, or pay an upfront fee?
- Are you under pressure to respond quickly?
- Are the contact details vague, such as a PO box, premium rate number (starting ‘09’) or mobile number?
- Does any of the correspondence you receive contain glaring grammatical or spelling mistakes?
- Are you requested to keep the matter confidential?
If you've come a across a scam, take a look at our guide to reporting it to the right organisation.