Cookies at Which? We use cookies to help improve our sites. If you continue, we'll assume that you're happy to accept our cookies. Find out more about cookies

More from Which?

Other sources of information relating to this subject on the Which? website.
Which? Wills
Inheritance tax explained
Capital gains tax explained
Financial advice: how to find an adviser

Care Aware

A free service specialising in funding advice for older people in the UK.
Helpline: 0161 707 1107


The HMRC website gives useful information about the following subjects relating to this guide.

Capital gains tax
Inheritance tax
Inheritance tax on transfers into trusts
Passing your home to your children

The Law Society

The Law Society has detailed guidelines for solicitors on gifts of property, especially relating to long-term care. See this page for more information.

Page last reviewed: February 2017
Next review due: July 2018