How to deal with debt Free debt advice contacts
- Don’t use a commercial debt-management company. There is plenty of free and independent advice for people struggling with debt.
- National Debtline offers mainly telephone-based free advice. It also runs a free online service called My Money Steps.
- Face-to-face advice is provided by Citizens Advice and Citizens Advice Scotland. Money Advice Scotland is an umbrella group representing debt-advice agencies across Scotland.
- The Consumer Credit Counselling Service offers advice face to face in ten regional centres, as well as by telephone and online.
- If a debt-management company fails to deal with your complaint against it, the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) may be able to help.
Free debt advice organisations
If you're struggling with debt, these national organisations offer free, impartial help and advice:
Citizens Advice England and Wales - see website or telephone directory for regional telephone numbers
Citizens Advice Scotland - see website or telephone directory for regional telephone numbers
Citizens Advice Northern Ireland - see website or telephone directory for regional telephone numbers
- 0800 138 1111
StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) - 0800 138 1111
There are also other organisations that offer free advice. Many offer localised face-to-face advice.
Remember: if a debt advice organisation is unable to offer you a free debt solution that matches your personal circumstances, ask for a referral to a free alternative.
Christians Against Poverty - 0800 328 0006
Debt Action NI - 0800 917 4607
Debt Advice Foundation - 0800 043 4050
Debt Support Trust - 0800 085 0226
Payplan - 0800 280 2816
Business debt advice
Business Debtline - 0800 197 6026
Other useful contacts
Child Support Agency - 0845 713 3133
Financial Ombudsman Service - 0845 080 1800
JobCentre Plus - see website or telephone directory for query-specific telephone numbers
The Insolvency Service - 0845 602 9848
Samaritans National Helpline - 0845 790 9090
Home Heat Helpline - backed by the energy industry, the Home Heat Helpline offers advice to help you access energy grants, benefits and payment schemes - 0800 336 699