Travel insurance Cover for those with medical conditions
Best rate travel insurance for those with specific medical conditions
Which? analysed the travel insurance market to find the best rates for those potential travellers with specific pre-existing medical conditions.
Our scenarios covered a 70-year-old traveller going to Europe for 15 days and a 50-year-old traveller taking out an annual worldwide multi-trip policy. The scenarios concerned travellers with high blood pressure, diabetes and a slipped disc.
The policies included still had to meet our minimum criteria - at least £2 million (Europe) or £5 million (Worldwide) worth of medical cover (including air ambulance), at least £1,500 of cover for baggage or personal belongings, and cover for lost or stolen money, £3,000 for cancellation and curtailment, a minimum of £1 million of personal liability cover, a 24-hour emergency helpline that you can call for advice and help and cover for legal expenses.
|Cover including pre-existing medical conditions|
|Provider||High blood pressure a||Diabetes b||Breast cancer c||Heart disease d|
|Best Rates: Single-trip (15-day trip to Europe for a 70 year-old)|
|Bengo Travel Optimum||£32||£32||-||-|
|Blue Bear Travel Gold||-||£30||-||£63|
|Explorer Travel Insurance Platinum||£36||£36||-||-|
|Insurancewith in partnership with Boots UK Silver||-||-||£108||-|
|Letsgoinsure Travellers Choice||£31||-||-||-|
|Marks and Spencer Bank||-||-||£104||£71|
|Best Rates: Annual multi-trip (annual worldwide policy for a 50 year-old)|
|Avanti Travel Classic||-||-||£267e||-|
|Blue Bear Travel Gold||-||£67||-||£143|
|Insurancewith in partnership with Boots UK Silver||-||-||£103h||-|
|Leisurecare Multi Traveller||£33||-||-||-|
|Letsgoinsure Travellers Choice||£58||-||-||-|
- Has had high blood pressure for two to three years and takes ramipril once a day. A non-smoker with normal cholesterol levels
- Has type 2 diabetes and takes medication before each meal
- Diagnosed with breast cancer 18 months ago. Had a mastectomy and then chemotherapy and radiotherapy. And takes one Arimadix tablet daily.
- Suffered a heart attack 2 years ago, but now fit to travel. Take the following medication - Aspirin, Beta blocker (acebutolol), Ace inhibitor (metoprolol), Statin (Fluvastatin), GTN spray as and when required
- Avanti Travel's Deluxe policy also covers for breast cancer at £333
- Holidaysafe's Premier Platinum policy also covers for heart disease at £189
- Insurancewith's Platinum policy also covers for breast cancer at £248
- Insurancewith in partnership with Boots UK Gold policy also covers for breast cancer at £248
The premiums above are illustrations only and will vary depending on your individual medical conditions.
Premiums were gathered during March and April 2014. It's worth checking with the insurer as there is a possibility the premiums have changed. This information is updated on a six-monthly basis - next update is due in 20 November 2014.