working for yourself

Tax for the self-employed

  • Which taxes you are likely to have to pay
  • Self-employment allowances and expenses
  • Tax returns for the self-employed
  • How payments on account work

What's in this guide

Paying tax self-employed

The self-employed submit a self-assessment tax return and normally make Payments on Account

Self employed capital allowances

Which? guides you through capital allowances for self-employed people, showing you how investing in your business can reduce your tax bill.

Self-employed income tax

If you're self-employed, you pay income tax on the profits you make. Find out what you need to do to calculate your income tax.

Self-employed: tax allowable expenses

If you're self-employed there are certain business expenses you can deduct from your tax bill. We explain the expenses you can and can't claim.

Tax returns and paperwork for the self-employed

Top tips and advice on how you should approach your tax returns if you're self-employed.

Self-employed National Insurance

Which? helps you find out what National Insurance contributions you have to make if you are self-employed, as well other taxes you may need to pay.

Which? Limited (registered in England and Wales number 00677665) is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Which? Financial Services Limited (registered in England and Wales number 07239342). Which? Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 527029). Which? Mortgage Advisers and Which? Money Compare are trading names of Which? Financial Services Limited. Registered office: 2 Marylebone Road, London NW1 4DF.