Property tax

Tax on property and rental income

  • Find out how income from rental properties is taxed 
  • A complete guide to allowable expenses
  • Claim tax relief if you rent out a room in your house
  • Tax on furnished holiday lettings and foreign property

What's in this guide

How rental income is taxed

Find out how to keep your tax bill down if you rent out a property

Allowable expenses and allowances

Make sure you don' t pay too much tax by claiming the right expenses and allowances

Rent-a-room: Letting a room in your home

Renting out a room in your house can be a good way of making extra money, tax-free

Tax on overseas property

Rental income from property abroad does not escape UK taxes