Headphones: Best Buys
What type of headphones are best for you? In-ear, on-ear, over-ear or plug? It's a complicated market and finding the best headphones not only for your needs, but also won't annoy anyone nearby can be a tricky decision, but our reviews can help you through the maze.
Which? tests a huge number of headphones across a wide price range. After six weeks putting them through their paces in the Which? lab, we know which models sound the best and which you need to avoid. And there are bargains to be had if you know where to look.
- Our experts listen to a wide range of musical genres, from classical to rock and from opera to the spoken word to ensure they can cope across the board
- For noise cancelling models our panel listen to music in the back of a moving car, by the side of a busy road and in a busy office, to give a real-life account of their performance
- How the headphones sound isn't our only consideration – we also assess them for comfort and how adjustable they are
Find the best headphones around and avoid getting stuck with a dud set by taking out a trial to Which?
What makes a Which? Best Buy
We test thousands of products each year at Which? in a controlled environment that enables us to accurately repeat each test on each product - meaning our reviews are directly comparable. We buy the products we test ourselves, and go through great lengths to shape our test programmes to match the way you use the products.
Find out more about how we test products and find those that deserve to be Best Buys in the video below.
Expert headphone reviews you can trust
Our labs test models from the biggest headphone brands on the market - including Bose, Grado and Sennheise. A Best Buy set of headphones will give you great sound quality whatever you're listening to, and will also be comfortable to wear.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
More ways to save money
Which? reviews thousands of products and services each year, shedding light on the best and worst and helping you with your everyday decisions. With advice and reviews on everything from energy suppliers and high street shops to ebook readers, cars and mobile phones, Which? can help you save money.
Try a trial to Which? and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help, plus you'll get access to Which? Local, where members share recommendations for the best services in your area.
- Reviews of 52 headphones - in-ear, on-ear, over-ear and plugs
- 7 Which? Best Buy headphones for clearer sound
- Reviews of headphones from 22 brands