Which? Best Buy DSLR and mirrorless cameras
Which? Best Buy DSLR and mirrorless cameras take superb photos in all light conditions, and will be reliable and easy to use. See which models get our seal of approval, or risk disappointment.
The most important consideration when buying a camera is the quality of the photos you can achieve with it. That's why we put each DSLR we test through more than 15 individual picture quality assessments, and only the very best cameras become Which? Best Buys. We also highlight Don't Buy models, so you won't be left with a dud.
Best Buy DSLRs can handle all types of lighting, shoot excellent HD videos and are easy enough to use without complicated settings or hard-to-press buttons. We also scrutinise the quality of the camera's LCD screen - while some screens are bright, sharp and colourful, others can be dull and hard to make out detail on.
- We put each DSLR through hundreds of individual tests and shoot scores of photos to assess picture quality, so you can be sure any Best Buy you choose will deliver pin-sharp photos with accurate colours.
- We reveal the DSLRs from big brands that fail to live up to their marketing hype, as well as Best Buys from smaller brands.
- All the DSLRs we test are checked to see how quickly they are ready to shoot after switching on, and how easy it is to switch modes or access features, so you have the best chance possible of capturing that memorable moment.
How we uncover the best DSLR cameras
We carry out more than 450 tests, checks and measurements on every DSLR camera we test, so you can be sure your Best Buy will take the highest quality photos and are simple to use. We check for:
- Image quality - We put our cameras through hundreds of individual tests of picture quality to assess focusing, sharpness and accurate colour reproduction.
- Ease of use - Expert ergonomists press every button on the DSLR and dig into every setting or mode to discover how easy they are to use.
- Monitor - As it can be hard to view a camera screen in strong daylight, we replicate these conditions in our test labs, and judge how easy the screen is to view under direct light.
- Features - Our testers cut through the jargon and hype of new technology to unearth the genuinely useful features from the pointless gimmicks.
DSLR camera reviews you can trust
Models from the biggest camera brands on the market are tested in the Which? test lab - including Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Pentax and Sony - and we've discovered that even the most trustworthy names occasionally drop the ball.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
If you’re a Which? member, you can log in now to unlock the Best Buy DSLR reviews on this page.
Not yet a member? Join Which? and you'll receive access to all our online content - including DSLR cameras - and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help.