Coffee machines: Best Buys
Best Buy coffee machines make the top grade in espresso taste, aroma and appearance.
Want to make the perfect cup of coffee at home?
If a great cup of espresso gets you going, then a coffee machine is the perfect addition to your kitchen. But how can you tell which one of the hundreds available to go for?
At Which? we spend more than £1,000 testing each model, and our Best Buy coffee machines make the top grade in espresso taste, aroma and appearance.
- We combine unique expert lab testing with taste test ratings from an industry expert to help identify the best coffee machine for you.
- We test coffee machines more thoroughly than anyone else. Which? makes hundreds of espresso shots every year to reveal the machines that make a disappointing brew.
- Which? tests reveal the energy costs of running a coffee machine, and we look beyond the marketing claims, to show you exactly how much it will cost to make your own espresso
Find the best coffee machine for you, and avoid wasting money on one that won’t deliver an excellent espresso, with a £1 trial to Which?
Video: what makes a Which? Best Buy coffee machine?
Watch our video to find out why choosing a Best Buy coffee machine will make a real difference to your enjoyment using the machine, and drinking the coffee it makes.
Coffee machine reviews you can trust
When we test coffee machines we ask Giles Hilton, a member of the Specialist Coffee Association, to provide his expert opinion. We test whether coffee machines from a range of big brands can regularly and reliably make at least 30ml of coffee, with a good crema (the froth on top of a black espresso) and rich aroma. We test the temperature of the coffee, and also how easy the machines are to use and clean.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
More ways to save money
Which? reviews thousands of products and services each year, shedding light on the best and worst and helping you with your everyday decisions. With advice and reviews on everything from energy suppliers and high street shops to ebook readers, cars and mobile phones, Which? can help you save money.
Try a £1 trial membership, and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help, plus you'll get access to Which? Local, where members share recommendations for the best services in your area.
- Reviews of 135 espresso machines: traditional, Nespresso, Dolce Gusto and ESE coffee pods
- 73 Best Buy espresso machines for great-tasting coffee
- Reviews of espresso machines from 28 companies