Which? Best Buy sound barsAll guides
A Best Buy sound bar will offer balanced, good-quality sound and complete your TV viewing experience. With our rigorous testing, detailed reviews and pricing information, we'll help find the best sound bar to suit you and your TV.
How we test sound bars
- How good is sound quality across TV, film and music?
- Does it sound ok from an angle if we sit around a room?
- Is it ok at louder volumes or does it sound distorted?
- How easy is it to use everyday and is it power hungry?
- What room size is it suitable for?
- Should I buy it?
- All the latest soundbars independently reviewed
- Sound bars tested from large and small brands
- Tests that reflect real life in a living room setup
- Extra tests at different listening angles and volumes
- Definitive scores, ratings, full specs and user reviews
What makes a Best Buy sound bar?
Sound bars are more popular than ever and a compact alternative to multi-speaker home cinema surround sound systems. There's a huge choice of models, each differing in brand, price and extra features on offer, such as a wireless subwoofer speaker or Bluetooth to stream music from smartphones or tablets. We review those from supermarket models as well as those from the big guns, such as Sonos and Samsung, because even the best-known brands can have off-days.
The Which? Best Buy logo is your guarantee of quality. It means you'll get excellent sound quality, whatever you watch and listen to, and a sound bar that is straightforward to set up and use day-to-day.
A sound bar is designed to be a compact and stylish way to improve the mediocre sound offered by the thin speakers of many newer TVs. But we've found there's no guarantee that's what you'll get, which is why we rigorously test every sound bar we review.
We use 11 different tracks, including classical, pop and jazz pieces, everyday voices, TV dramas and films, and put bold claims of loud volume and pin-sharp clarity to the test.
But we don't stop there. We check each sound bar from different distances and angles to find out whether it'll sound as good to everyone in the room, no matter where they sit. We guarantee a Best Buy sound bar will sound great, whatever you watch or listen to.
Which? is independent, we work for you - the consumer - so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.