Bank accounts Children's bank accounts
The table shows the range of children's bank accounts offered by banks and building societies in the UK.
A score has been applied to each account based on the features we think are most important, including credit interest (weighted on tiered balances up to £2,500), debit or cash card available,option to set-up standing orders/direct debits and incentives.
The table is split into two categories - minimum age 7 to 11 and minimum age 16+.
Make sure to take a look at our reviews of children's savings accounts as well.
|Children's bank accounts|
|Provider||Age bands (years)||Credit interest rate||Direct debits and standing orders||Cash card||Debit card||Cheque book||Product score|
|Minimum age 7 to 11 years|
|Bank of Scotland Under 19s Account||11 to 15||2.50 [a]||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||80%|
|Lloyds BankUnder 19s Account||11 to 15||2.50 [a]||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||80%|
|TSB Under 19s Account||11 to 15||2.50 [a]||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||80%|
|Santander Youth Account||11 to 15||3.00 [b] [c]||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||75%|
|Co-operative Bank Bonus Account [d]||7 to 18||0.25||Yes [l]||Yes||No||No||61%|
|NatWest Adapt [e]||11 to 18||1.00||No||No||Yes||No||59%|
|Northern Bank (NI) Discovery||11 to 17||0.10||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||58%|
|Royal Bank of Scotland Revolve [e]||11 to 18||0.55||No||No||Yes||No||51%|
|HSBC MyAccount [f]||11 to 17||0.00||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes [g]||50%|
|Barclays BarclaysPlus [h]||11 to 15||0.25||See [j]||Yes||Yes||No||48%|
|Ulster Bank (NI) Adapt||11 to 18||0.00||No||No||Yes||No||31%|
|Minimum age 16 up to 19 years|
|Bank of Scotland Under 19s Account [k]||16 to 18||2.50 [a]||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||93%|
|Lloyds Bank Under 19s Account [k]||16 to 18||2.50 [a]||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||93%|
|TSB Under 19s Account [k]||16 to 18||2.50 [a]||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||93%|
|Santander Youth Account||16 to 18||3.00 [b] [c]||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||75%|
|Halifax Cardcash||16 to 17||1.51||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||73%|
|Nationwide BS FlexAccount Youth||16 to 18||0.00||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||50%|
|Barclays Young Persons Account||16 to 19||0.00||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||50%|
- 0.1% paid on portion of balance above £2,500
- To be eligible for the credit interest rate the customer must pay any amount into their account at least once a month.
- No interest is paid on any amount over £500, or on the whole balance if the customer does not make a payment into their account each month)
- Born Free gifts at key stages of a/c. Bonus paid per year if balance average £50. Up to 12 years - £2 13 - 18 years - £10.
- Discounts at top retailers and discounted railcard
- As part of a package with MySavings which can be opened by a child from the age of 7
- On request from age 16
- Tied to another product with Barclays
- Direct debits and standing orders into account only
- For over 17s - Save £36 on AA driving lessons and receive a free ‘Pass Your Test’ CD-ROM worth £19.99. After passing your test save a further £20 off Pass Plus
- Not direct debits
Which Ltd is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Which? Financial Services Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Which? Mortgage Advisers, Which? Insurance Advisers and Which? Money Compare are trading names of Which? Financial Services Limited.