Moving house in Scotland

Scottish property system

  • How the Scottish property system works
  • What is a home report and why do you need one? 
  • Issues to consider when buying a tenement property
  • Solicitors' role in buying and selling Scottish homes

What's in this guide

Buying a house in Scotland

How the process of buying a home Scotland works and what you need to consider.

Buying a tenement property

If you want to buy a tenement or shared property, there are extra issues to be aware of.

Land and Buildings Transaction Tax (LBTT)

Our guide on how much LBTT home-buyers and buy-to-let investors need to pay.

Scottish conveyancing

If you're buying or selling a home in Scotland, you'll need to hire a solicitor. We explain the process.

Selling a house in Scotland

The process of selling a home in Scotland, using an estate agent and receiving offers.

Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.

Which? Limited (registered in England and Wales number 00677665) is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Which? Financial Services Limited (registered in England and Wales number 07239342). Which? Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 527029). Which? Mortgage Advisers and Which? Money Compare are trading names of Which? Financial Services Limited. Registered office: 2 Marylebone Road, London NW1 4DF.