Which? Best Buy laptops
Which? Best Buy laptops need to be portable, powerful, have a long battery life and a great screen, too. See which ones receive our seal of approval, or risk disappointment.
Unlike other review sites, we pay for every single laptop we review, just as you would when buying one. Which? invests more than £100,000 each year to test the latest laptops every single month. We test laptops to suit all types of user - from budget models to powerful premium devices, and everything in between.
When we award a laptop with a Best Buy award you can be sure that it's a genuinely excellent device, with very few flaws. When you settle for anything less than a Best Buy you're opening yourself up to a whole world of risks. Technology is expensive and temperamental - the wrong purchasing decision could leave you seriously out of pocket.
- Our laptops experts run battery life until the laptop shuts down in a range of scenarios - including watching films and using the internet over a wi-fi connection - so you know your Best Buy laptop will last as long as you need it to.
- As well as demanding benchmark tests, we also put every laptop though a series of everyday tasks that you would complete at home - including copying photos to the hard drive and changing the format of a video to watch on an iPhone.
- We review over 100 laptops every year - make sure you buy one that won't freeze up on you, slow down, or die after three hours away from the plug socket.
How we uncover the best laptops
When it comes to testing laptops, we don't just take a quick look and review them by feel - we test over 260 set criteria to ensure that each device is measured equally and every laptop is comparable with one another. Every review takes place in a regimented lab environment - we even use a thermal imaging camera to monitor how hot laptops get during use. You can be sure that a Which? Best Buy laptop will run smoothly and feel great to use.
- Performance: A whole host of benchmarking tools are run to measure the true power of every laptop.
- Screen quality: It's not just resolution that counts. Gamma, colour accuracy and glare are all measured to accurately judge each laptop's display.
- Speaker quality: It can be easy to overlook sound when it comes to laptops, but we make sure that you don't end up with a device that would make your favourite albums and movies unlistenable.
- Portability: Laptops are meant to be portable, but if its too big or heavy that can be a real inconvenience for you on a daily basis
- Battery: Our testers run multiple battery life tests to time how long each laptop lasts in real-world scenarios like watching movies or surfing the web.
Laptop reviews you can trust
We test all the most popular models from the biggest brands, including Apple, Acer, Asus, Toshiba and Dell. You shouldn't buy a laptop on reputation alone, as our testing often confirms.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
Try a £1 trial membership, and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help, plus you'll get access to Which? Local, where members share recommendations for the best services in your area.