We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies. You can understand more and change your cookies preferences here.


Missguided shoppers refused refunds: four ways to get your money back

What to do if you paid with debit or credit card, or with a BNPL scheme

Missguided customers could be left out-of-pocket after the administrators winding up the company told shoppers they'll no longer be issuing refunds for orders placed before 30 May 2022.

The online fashion retailer recently announced it had gone bust and was subsequently bought out by the Frasers Group, who also owns brands such as Flannels, House of Frasers and Sports Direct.

But until the Frasers Group officially takes over, the administrators, Teneo Financial Advisory, has said it will no longer be honouring refunds for any unwanted or unfulfilled orders made before 30 May.

Administrators can decide to stop accepting returns and gift cards after a retailer falls into administration. But, depending on how you paid, you do have consumer protections that can help you get a refund if you're stuck with an unwanted or faulty order (or didn't receive your order at all).

If you're a Missguided customer that's been left out of pocket, here's our advice on getting your money back.

1) Make a chargeback claim if you paid by debit card

If you paid for your Missguided order by debit card, you may be able to make a chargeback claim with your bank.

Chargeback is a way of disputing a card transaction if you've been left with unwanted items or didn't receive your order at all.

It works by the bank withdrawing funds that were previously deposited into the retailer's account and putting them back in your account.

Chargeback is not enshrined in law but is part of Scheme Rules, which participating banks subscribe to. It applies to all debit cards goods, although exact rules may vary between the Visa, Maestro and American Express networks.

It's worth noting that there is a time limit on chargeback claims - typically 120 days from the transaction processing date, or from when you expected to receive the goods. 

You can use our letter template to start a claim with your bank.

2) Use Section 75 if you paid by credit card

Or if you paid by credit card, you can make a Section 75 claim with your credit provider.

Section 75 means that your credit card provider is jointly liable if something goes wrong. So if you're stuck with the wrong size or a missing order, you can make a claim with your bank and they should refund you.

Unfortunately, though, Section 75 only applies to purchases that cost between £100 - £30,000 - if you spent less than this, your claim might not be accepted.

You can use our Section 75 tool to start your claim with your credit card company.

3) Contact your BNPL provider

You might have chosen to pay with Clearpay or Klarna's Pay in 30 or Pay in 3 schemes at the checkout.

If so, you will still have to continue meeting your repayments as normal if you've received your Missguided order and are happy with it. This is because BNPL providers pay upfront for your items when you place your order - you are simply paying them back with your instalments.

But if you didn't receive your order, or are stuck with faulty or unwanted items, you may be able to secure a refund with the BNPL firm. Here's what Klarna and Clearpay told us you should do:

  • Klarna said you should raise a dispute with it as normal and it will let you know how it can offer support - this could include offering a refund for unwanted or damaged items.
  • Clearpay told us it will refund you in accordance with your rights if you notify it that you intend to or have returned the goods. If you don’t receive your items, it will refund you or cancel your debt. It says you won’t ever be in a position where you’re out of pocket or lose your legal rights to return.

PayPal Finance customers can also raise a dispute with PayPal Buyer Protection.

If you’re not happy with how the BNPL provider handles your issue, you can let us know via our BNPL complaints form.

4) Submit a claim to the administrators

The email sent to Missguided customers from the administrators, posted on social media, also advises that shoppers may be able to make a claim with the administrators for any unwanted or missing orders.

You can write to the administrators as an unsecured creditor, explaining exactly how much money you're owed and what it's for. This might be particularly useful if you have unspent vouchers you can no longer use.

There's no guarantee you'll get all or any of your money back, as the retailer will likely have lots of debt to pay off, but we think it's worth trying.