1 Contact your FIT licensee

This is the company which pays your feed-in tariff. You should contact it about registration and delays in installation as well as payment problems.

Contact details for your licensee will be on its website, as well as printed on documents associated with your registration.

When you contact the company, make a note of the name of the person you speak to, the time, date and what they say they'll do to address your complaint. 

2 Escalate your complaint

Ask for a copy of the company’s complaints procedure – it may be available on its website.

If you're not happy with the way in which the company is dealing with your complaint in the first instance, you can escalate your complaint in line with the company's complaints procedure. 

Make sure you take regular meter readings, record them and send them to your licensee. 

Also, keep a copy of any further correspondence you have with your FIT licensee such as letters or emails. 

3 Complain to the Ombudsman

If you haven’t reached an agreement with your feed-in tariff licensee eight weeks after you complained, or you’re not happy with the company’s response, you can refer it to the Energy Ombudsman.

Contact the Energy Ombudsman online or by calling 0330 440 1624. 

The ombudsman will ask questions about your problem so make sure you have copies of your correspondence with your FIT licensee to hand.

The ombudsman will have its own procedure for you to follow - usually it will require you to complete an online form. 

Please tell us what you think of the Which? Consumer Rights website.

Your feedback is vital in helping us improve this site. All data will be treated confidentially. This survey will take approximately 5 minutes to complete.

Please take our survey so we can improve our website for you and others like you.