Late or incorrect payments

The most common problems reported to Which? include being paid the wrong amount for electricity generated and not being paid within the expected timescale.

Your installation must be fully registered before you can receive any FIT payments.

Be careful when you fill in the FIT application form not to miss a section or make a mistake. 

Incomplete forms will be returned and the registration date will be from when the correctly completed form has been received. 

Licensees will not back-date applications. Delayed registration could mean you get a lower FIT rate.

How long does it take to pay FIT?

Once registered, you should be paid quarterly unless your FIT contract and terms and conditions state otherwise.

Your licensee might specify deadlines by which you must submit your meter readings.

The maximum time it can take for suppliers to pay after the meter reading varies from 30 days to 90 days among the big six energy suppliers. 

Not all of them specify a maximum payment time. Check your contract terms and conditions.

If you miss the meter reading deadline, you may have to wait until the next meter reading cycle to be paid.

Top tips

  • Your installation must be fully registered before you can receive any FIT payments
  • Be careful not to make any mistakes on your application form, as licensees will not back-date applications
  • Once registered, you should be paid quarterly
  • If you want to make a complaint, contact your FIT licensee in the first instance

How much FIT should I be paid?

Your payments will depend on:

  • The amount of electricity you generate
  • The rate of FIT to which you're entitled. This depends on when your system was registered to receive the FIT
  • The energy efficiency rating of your home. From April 2012 it must get an Energy Performance Certificate level D or above (you must show this in the FIT application form). If it doesn’t meet the rating, you'll get a lower FIT rate

How do I complain about payments?

In the first instance, you should get in touch with your FIT licensee - the energy company which pays your FIT.

If you haven’t reached an agreement with your FIT licensee eight weeks after you complained, or you’re not happy with the company’s response, you can refer your supplier to the Energy Ombudsman.

Please tell us what you think of the Which? Consumer Rights website.

Your feedback is vital in helping us improve this site. All data will be treated confidentially. This survey will take approximately 5 minutes to complete.

Please take our survey so we can improve our website for you and others like you.