Which? magazine is the UK’s bestselling monthly, trusted by more than half a million subscribers. It’s packed with reviews, advice, investigations and news – our aim is to make individuals as powerful as the organisations they deal with in their daily lives.
If you’re not yet a Which? member, we’re offering a sneak peek at the reviews and investigations that are featured in the latest issue.
Which? magazine: May 2021
Together, mobile networks EE, O2, Three and Vodafone serve nearly nine in 10 UK customers. But while our latest survey of more than 4,000 mobile phone customers uncovered a quartet of outstanding providers, they weren’t the Big Four.
It was the Which? Recommended Providers that were awarded the best ratings – at least 88% of customers expressed satisfaction. Value for money was a strong theme, with all of them earning four stars in this area. At the other end of our results table is a mobile provider that customers gave subpar ratings in every category.
Meanwhile, this month’s Which? magazine also reveals the best big brand and supermarket own-brand washing-up liquids, dishwasher tablets and laundry capsules. Our rigorous lab tests will help you to find the best cleaning products for your budget, so you can choose to save money or splash out.
In fact, our latest washing-up liquid, dishwasher tablet and laundry capsule tests uncovered bargain supermarket own-brand products that cost less up front and will clean effectively – meaning you won’t need to use extra elbow grease or wash items more than once.
Also in this month’s magazine:
- Could UVC help protect you against Covid-19? UVC home disinfection devices are increasingly appearing on the market. But, as Hannah Fox reveals, many aren’t worth buying – and some are potentially dangerous
- Does your insurer pass the claims test? Dean Sobers investigates whether the pandemic has taken a toll on insurers’ abilities to deal with claims
- The truth about diets Which? nutritionist Shefalee Loth looks at why diets fail, which of the popular ones are worthwhile, and how to make healthier eating habits stick
- Is now the time to switch to a Macbook? The latest MacBooks are the first to sport a processor that Apple has designed in-house. Felix Wilson scrutinises whether it’s made the new models better, and how they measure up to the best laptops of 2021
- Printers and shredders Hollie Hennessy rounds up our pick of the best, and advises how to get the most out of your existing printer.
From the editor
Whenever I delve into the details of how our testers put the products we recommend through their paces I’m impressed – and reminded that the value of our reviews depends on the rigour, objectivity and sheer scale of our research.
Take washing-up liquid. To see how well liquids remove fat, we pour 1.2kg of the stuff on to more than 700 plates, before counting the number that each liquid cleans. We then go further, testing each liquid’s power against baked-on grease – for example, from grilled meat and roast potatoes – on metal cookware.
For our dishwasher tablet tests, we put on more than 400 loads to test how well tablets handle different challenges, including tea, starchy foods and egg yolk. We check dishes for evidence of residue, streaks and loss of shine after five washes and then again after 30.
To evaluate laundry detergents, it’s more than 300 washes for each batch tested. We measure stain-removing power using a spectrophotometer, which shines a light on stains after washing. Our testers throw in some of the toughest stains – from red wine and curry to motor oil – before testing for faded colours and dull whites after repeated washes.
Harry Rose, Editor, Which? magazine
Which? member benefits
Interested in Which? If you choose to become a member and join today, you’ll be treated to a host of perks, including:
- The latest product reviews and test results from our test labs
- All our Best Buy and Don’t Buy verdicts
- Which? Reviews smartphone app – ratings on the go for more than 8,000 products
- Which? magazine delivered to your door each month
- Special member deals on Which? Legal.
How do I subscribe to Which?
Our Join Which? page tells you everything you need to know to start receiving Which? magazine to your door and the additional benefits of becoming a member.
Alternatively, you can find out more by calling our member services team on 029 2267 0000.