Best Buy air purifiers
Discover the best air purifiers. We reveal the best air purifiers that can be trusted to quickly and effectively clean the air in your home.
The best air purifiers clean the air in your home quickly, capturing polluting particles - such as dust, smoke and pollen. They needn’t cost a fortune. We’ve found one of the best air purifiers we’ve tested costs £350 less than some other machines on test.
The best air purifiers will also clean without making too much noise, which is really important if you want your air purifier to be cleaning the air while you sleep.
Buy the wrong air purifier, and you’ll notice little or no difference in the quality of the air in your home. The air purifier simply won’t be powerful enough to quickly and effectively remove pollutants, such as pollen, dust, smoke and pet dander, from the air.
Some of the airs purifiers are so poor at capturing pollutants they are Don't Buys.
Only the very best air purifiers that capture the most pollutants and clean the air the quickest become Best Buys.
- We test each air purifier’s ability to extract particles of dust, smoke and pollen from the atmosphere inside our specially-built test chamber.
- We test how quickly each air purifier cleans the air.
- And we assess how easy they are to use.
How we uncover the best air purifiers
No one tests air purifiers as thoroughly as we do at Which?. You can be sure that a Best Buy air purifier will remove allergens and pollutants from the air in your home quickly and effectively. The worst work too slowly and don’t capture enough polluting particles.
- Clean-air delivery rate: we use pollen, smoke and dust to measure the clean-air delivery rate (CADR) of each machine. This measures the reduction of particles in the air.
- Noise: we measure how loud each machine is on its lowest and highest settings. Our expert panel then listens for any irritating noises made. This means that we can let you know whether a quiet machine also makes an annoying rattle that would prove hard to live with in your home.
- Energy: We record how much electricity each air purifier uses.
- Ease of use: we check how easy it is to set the machines up, use them and remove and replace the filters. The best air purifiers have easy-to-remove filters and are a doddle to set up. The worst are harder to use, and filter removal and replacement is a struggle.
- Smart air purifiers: we connect the purifiers to their apps and see how easy each is to use from a smartphone. Our tests found that some apps were noticeably easier to use than others.
See all our air purifier reviews.
Air purifier reviews you can trust
We test air purifiers from big names such as Blueair, Dyson, DeLonghi, Meaco, Philips and Vax. The brands that sit at the top and the bottom of our results table might surprise you. So, before you buy on name alone, make sure you look at our in-depth reviews.
Which? is independent – we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We're not influenced by third parties and we don't accept freebies from product manufacturers or retailers. We buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
Not yet a Which? member? Join Which? and you'll receive access to all of our exclusive online content - including all our reviews.