Which baby or child car seat brand?
In this guide we review the most popular baby and child car seat brands for typical features to expect, average prices and give logged-in members the expert Which? verdict and top Best Buy models.
Baby and child car seat brands rated
|Brand||Total tested||Best Buys||Don't Buys||Range of scores|
|Brand 1||28||7||1||42% - 82%|
|Brand 2||28||5||2||20% - 82%|
|Brand 3||25||12||0||69% - 81%|
|Brand 4||17||5||2||39% - 78%|
|Brand 5||12||3||1||54% - 79%|
|Brand 6||10||0||2||37% - 70%|
|Brand 7||8||1||0||60% - 81%|
|Brand 8||7||0||3||20% - 64%|
As you can see from the results, there is a range of test scores within each baby and child car seat brand. Let’s take a closer look into what makes each unique.
BeSafe car seats review
- Extended rear-facing specialists
- Mainly Isofix installation
- Seats use a harness rather than impact shield seats
- Some seats can be used as part of a travel system
- i-Size seats available
Average costs of Besafe car seats
Prices for the models we’ve tested range from £140 to £520, including a seat with an Isofix base, approved to the latest child car seat rules.
Britax Römer car seats review
- Britax car seats all use a harness and not an impact shield
- Some also have a single-handed release feature (SHR), meaning you can remove the baby car seat from the pushchair with just one hand
- Choice of seat belt or Isofix installation and i-Size seats available
- Many come with indicators and belt guides to help ensure the seat is installed correctly
- Extended rear-facing seats available
Average cost of a Britax car seat
Prices range from £40 for the basic Britax Adventure (Group 2/3) car seat, and up to £375 for the Britax DualFix Group i-Size baby car seat. You can get a Best Buy Britax car seat for around £110.
Cybex car seats review
- Cybex baby car seats are lightweight, so they are easy to handle
- Its baby car seats are travel-system compatible and can be used with a range of Cybex pushchairs
- Cybex tends to use impact shields rather than harnesses
- Cybex seats have a feature called the telescopic LSP System, which stands for linear side-impact protection. This can be adjusted to fit the specific vehicle to help absorb energy in a crash
- i-Size and extended rear-facing child car seats are available
Average cost of a Cybex car seat
Prices range from £70 for a high-backed booster to £410 for the latest i-Size car seats. You can get a Best Buy Cybex car seat for around £100.
Graco car seats review
- Often cheaper than many of the other top UK brands
- Use five-point harness restraints rather than impact shields
- Isofix and belt installation child car seats available
- Graco infant carriers can be used with Graco strollers as a travel system
Average cost of a Graco car seat
Prices range from as little as £30 up to around £170.
Joie car seats review
- Belt fitting or Isofix installations possible
- Some Joie car seats span all the seat groups you'll need: Group 0+, Group 1 and Group 2/3
- You can choose from three base types: clickFIT, i-Base and i-Base Advance
- Most use a harness rather than an impact shield
Average cost of a Joie car seat
If you're shopping for a Joie child car seat, be prepared to spend at least £60. We've seen prices rise to around £280 for Joie's high-end baby and child car seats.
Maxi-Cosi car seats review
- Maxi-Cosi baby and child car seats have safety features, such as light and sound LED displays, to notify parents if the seat hasn't been installed safely
- All its seats use harnesses rather than impact shields
- Maxi-Cosi seats can be installed in your car using an Isofix base or the adult seatbelt
- Baby car seats are travel-system compatible
- A range of i-Size and extended rear-facing seats (up to four years old) available
Average cost of a Maxi-Cosi car seat
Expect to pay from around £90 for a basic Maxi-Cosi baby or toddler car seat, up to nearly £400 for a top-of-the-range i-Size-approved baby car seat and base. There’s a wide range of car seats and prices across the whole product range.
Nania car seats review
- Nania baby and child car seats are affordable
- The brand makes seats suitable for babies, toddlers and young children
- Usually forward-facing (although Nania does make some rear-facing models)
Average cost of a Nania car seat
Parents looking for a cheap baby or child car seat might consider Nania. At the time of writing, all of the child car seats we've tested from Nania are available online or in-store for under £100. The cheapest Nania car seat we've tested goes for as little as £40.
Nuna car seats review
- Some baby car seats are travel system compatible
- Nuna has Isofix and belt installation options in its range
- i-Size seats available, including one suitable from 15 months of age up to 12 years
- Comes with accessories such as a drape to shield your baby from the sun
Average cost of a Nuna car seat
Prices range from around £150 to £325.