Top five best freestanding cookers for 2020
The best cookers ace our tough lab tests, so you can be sure the top models we recommend cook evenly, grill beautifully and come with a hob that can boil quickly as well as simmer gently.
To help you avoid spending money on a cooker that will make preparing meals a frustrating ordeal, we've rounded up five models that we think you'll be more than happy with.
Prices, recommendations and test scores correct as of July 2019.
And here are two freestanding cookers to avoid
If you choose a cooker on a whim, you risk spending your hard-earned money on poor quality.
Our extensive tests have found some freestanding cookers with inaccurate ovens and hobs that take an age to warm up your food.
Even if you don't go for a Best Buy, avoid the duds below.
Top five things to consider when choosing a freestanding cooker
If you're looking for a new freestanding cooker and don't know where to begin, the following are a good place to start:
- Type: you can have all-gas, all-electric or a dual-fuel cooker that has an electric oven and gas hob. With electric models your main choice is what kind of hob you get. Find out more by heading to our guide on .
- Price: you can buy all-gas and all-electric cookers from under £200 up to around £900. If you want an electric cooker with an induction hob, prices start from around £400. Prices for dual-fuel cookers start from around £250, but most are more than £400.
- Size: most freestanding cookers are 60cm wide, but you can also find 50cm and 55cm-wide cookers. All are roughly the same height (80cm) and depth (60-65cm).
- Capacity: manufacturers state capacity in litres, but this includes space you can't actually use for cooking (such as the area under the lowest shelf). We measure how much usable space there actually is, which we reveal in our reviews.
- Features: think about which features you need or want the most. For example, you might want a cooker with a self-cleaning programme, or a light that turns off when the oven reaches the desired temperature.