Don't Buy child car seats
Buying a poor child car seat could expose your child to a higher risk of serious injury if you’re ever involved in a car accident, especially at high speed. We crash test each car seat we review to help you avoid those that may not be as safe as they claim.
Child car seats best vs worst We’ve tested car seats where the forces of the crash have ripped out the harness, sending our dummy children flying. We've seen Isofix bases break, slamming our dummy children straight into the passenger seat in front. All of these seats have passed the safety standards to be sold on the market.
We’ve got more than 50 years’ experience of testing child car seats, so we can inform parents about those that pass our crash tests, are simple to fit (so you don’t risk fitting errors that could lessen safety) and comfortable for your little one.
Why are Which? car seat reviews different?
Which? has reviewed the latest child car seats from the biggest brands including Britax, Cybex, Graco, Joie and Maxi-Cosi. Our specially designed crash tests go further than the legal minimum standards manufacturers must meet.
- We crash test each car seat we review, using dummies, in two crash situations which represent what could happen in a frontal- and side-impact crash – two of the most common types of accident you could be involved in..
- We use real children sitting in each child car seat to assess the support for your child’s head and legs; how roomy the seat is for your child and how much space there is for him or her to grow. For infant carriers we assess whether your baby will be held in an optimum position when travelling.
- Our experts, along with parents and children, try out each seat to see how easy it is to install in your car. If it's not installed correctly, it won't work properly in a crash.
- We fit each car seat into three different makes and models of cars (using both Isofix and seat-belt modes) to find out how much space each child car seat takes up. Our tests will tell you if you'll have space to transport your other children safely while the car seat is in, or if you won't be able to use the front passenger seat.
Safety alert Don't Buy child car seats
All the child car seats we've made a Don't Buy, with a safety alert, are listed below. Click on the link to be taken through to the review, then click on the yellow full safety alert banner to read more information on why each of these seats have scores low enough to be a Don't Buy child car seat.
- Apramo All Stage
- BabyStyle Oyster Carapace i-Size +DuoFix base
- Britax Romer Dualfix
- Britax Romer Max Way Plus
- Concord Ultimax i-Size
- Cosatto Hug Isofix
- Diono Radian 5
- Graco Junior Maxi
- Graco Logico L
- Graco Milestone
- Jane Grand
- Jane Matrix Light 2 Isofix
- Joie Every Stage
- Joie Every Stage FX
- Kids Embrace Friendship Batman
- Kids Embrace Friendship Turtles
- MiFold Grab and Go
- Nania BeLine SP Luxe
- Nania Revo