Don't Buy dehumidifiers
We reveal the dehumidifiers that take ages to dry out a room, are noisy and use lots of energy. Find out which dehumidifiers to avoid.
Which? has reviewed the latest dehumidifiers, including models by Meaco, Ebac, DeLonghi and Dimplex. Find out from our test results which dehumidifiers will keep your condensation and damp at bay – and won't make a racket while doing so.
- Every dehumidifier sent to the Which? test lab gets tested on how quickly it can effectively extract water from the air. We also test the noise it makes, the accuracy of the humidistat feature and assess how easy (or hard) it is to use.
- Each dehumidifier gets a Which? test score. You can use this to see the best and worse at a glance, plus find out how each dehumidifier compares with others on features and specifications.
- Our Which? dehumidifier tests cover a range of brands and prices.
Our tough lab tests separate the dehumidifiers you should avoid from those recommended as the best dehumidifiers.
How we uncover the worst dehumidifiers
As well as uncovering just how well a dehumidifier banishes humidity from your home, we also take into account other aspects of each machine.
- Energy used: If you have a damp problem then you'll need to keep your dehumidifier on a lot. You won't want one that will use a lot of energy and rack up your energy bills. We rate each model on how energy efficient it is.
- Noise: You can expect a dehumidifier to make some degree of noise, but you'll want to avoid ones that are so loud you have to keep it off when you are at home.
- Humidistat accuracy: With an accurate humidistat, you'll be able to turn this on and trust that your dehumidifier will take care of the rest.
Which? is independent – we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We're not influenced by third parties and we don't accept freebies from product manufacturers or retailers. We buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
Not yet a Which? member? Join Which? and you'll receive access to all of our exclusive online content - including all our reviews.