Mobile phones: Best Buys
Which? Best Buy phones are a joy to use. Their large, bright screens bring movies and games to life while their powerful processors open web pages almost instantaneously.
But get it wrong and you can be stuck with a dud phone on a long, and expensive, contract.
What makes a Best Buy mobile phone?
Looking for a new mobile?
Find the very best mobile phones around by taking a £1 trial to Which?.
Why Which? can help you find the best phone
Which? spends £60,000 every year testing mobile phones. We send new models to our labs every five weeks so you never have to wait long before reading our expert verdict.
And because we've tested mobile phones for over 10 years you can be sure that our Best Buys really are the cream of the crop.
All the phones we test go through the same tough tests at our lab.
- To ensure your calls will always be crystal clear, our experts make and receive calls on every phone we review. We even reproduce the sound of a busy cafe to check they can cope with loud background noise.
- We know that battery life is crucial so we check this thoroughly, recording call times in real life scenarios and measuring how long you can spend online before reaching for your charger.
- We run the latest benchmarking software to check whether the processor is fast enough and measure the actual memory capacity rather than just accepting the manufacturers' claims.
- We also assess the camera by taking a series of photos in a variety of conditions and by recording test footage using the phone's video camera.
We've reviewed all the latest phones, from expensive iPhones to cheap Android phones. And we've found that you don't have to spend a fortune to get a fantastic phone - we've tested some great value smartphones that cost less than £150 on a pay-as-you-go deal. Try Which? for £1 to find out which phones we recommend.
- Reviews of 100 mobile phones including all the latest smartphones
- 23 Best Buy mobile phones for a model that won't let you down.
- Brand reliability ratings plus network and phone retailer satisfaction scores
Mobile phone reviews you can trust
We've reviewed hundreds of handsets over the years from all the top brands, including Nokia, Sony, Samsung, Blackberry and Apple. We always test a mobile phone’s essential features - sound quality on calls, ease of use and battery life. And because mobiles are crammed with more and more features these days our experts assess these too. So we test the cameras in different lighting conditions, record and view footage shot on the phone’s camcorders, rate the built-in music players and even look at the performance of each phone’s web browser.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
More ways to save money with Which?
Which? reviews thousands of products and services each year, shedding the light on the best and worst and helping you with your everyday decisions. With advice and reviews on everything from energy suppliers and high street shops to ebook readers, cars and mobile phones, Which? can help you save money.
Try a £1 trial membership and you'll receive:
- Unlimited access to which.co.uk
- Which? magazine delivered to your door every month
- Free advice on the go from Which? Member Services
- Unlimited legal advice on consumer issues