We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies. You can understand more and change your cookies preferences here.

Financing care
Learn about funding options for home care, home adaptations and care homes, together with Attendance Allowance, gifting assets and Power of Attorney.
Housing options
Consider your options and learn about sheltered housing, retirement villages and care homes.
End of life
Guidance on the practical and emotional aspects at the end of life, from planning end of life care to arranging a funeral and coping with bereavement.

Getting professional support

We list different regulators, bodies and ombudsmen that may be able to help you when making a complaint or challenging a decision.
1 min read
In this article
Care regulators Ombudsmen for care providers Others

Care regulators

For information about minimum standards and how to report concerns.

In England: Care Quality Commission (CQC)

Telephone: 030 00 616161 (national customer service centre)

In Northern Ireland: Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA)

Telephone: 028 9051 7500

In Scotland: Care Inspectorate

Telephone: 0845 600 9527

In Wales: Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW)

Telephone: 0300 790 0126

Read more about how social care is monitored and regulated in the UK:

Ombudsmen for care providers

For complaints about care providers, which you have been unable to resolve with your service provider directly.

In England: Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

Telephone: 0300 061 0614

In Northern Ireland: Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman

Telephone: 0800 34 34 24

In Scotland: Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO)

Telephone: 0800 377 7330

In Wales: Public Services Ombudsman for Wales

Telephone: 0300 790 0203



A social enterprise that represents affordable representation for families struggling to navigate the continuing healthcare maze.

Telephone: 0345 548 0300

Care Information Scotland

A telephone and website service providing information about care services for older people living in Scotland.

Helpline: 0800 011 3200


The national consumer champion in England for health and care.

Telephone: 03000 68 3000

NHS Boards – Scotland

Website for the 14 regional NHS Boards in Scotland responsible for the protection and improvement of their population’s health.

NHS Complaints Advocacy – England

A free and independent service that helps you make a complaint about an NHS service.

Helpline: 0300 330 5454

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

The government organisation investigating complaints that individuals have been treated unfairly by, or received poor service from, the NHS and other public organisations in England and Wales.

Helpline: 0345 015 4033

Patient and Client Council – Northern Ireland

A government organisation in Northern Ireland; includes information on helping you make a complaint.

Telephone: 0800 917 0222

Patients Association

A charity that campaigns for patients’ rights and offers help with complaints.

Telephone: 020 8423 8999

Further reading

What is unsatisfactory care?

Unsatisfactory care can cover a wide range of issues. We explain the standards you can expect and how to take action.

Last updated: 31 Jul 2020