We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies. You can understand more and change your cookies preferences here.

National Insurance calculator

Calculate the amount of National Insurance you can expect to pay in the 2021-22, 2020-21 and 2019-20 tax years.

Anyone who earns income in the UK may need to pay National Insurance (NI) - whether you're employed or self-employed.

The amount you pay will vary depending on your income and employment status.

You can use our calculator below to work out how your NI contributions will be in the current tax year.

Alternatively, to find out how your bill is calculated, see our guide to National Insurance rates.

This calculator has been updated for the 2021-22 tax year. It will be updated in due course to show rates in 2022-23, including the health and social care levy being introduced in April 2022.

Use the 'Tax year' dropdown to see how much you'll get from 6 April 2021. 

The figures shown indicate what you'd owe on an annual basis, and assume you've worked for the full tax year.


Do I need to pay National Insurance?

For the 2021-22 tax year, employees must pay National Insurance if they earn more than £9,568 in the year.

This is up from £9,500 in 2020-21 and £8,632 in 2019-20.

Self-employed workers will pay Class 2 contributions if they earn more than £6,515, in addition to Class 4 if they earn more than £9,568.

For 2020-21, Class 2 contributions kick in at £6,475, and Class 4 at £9,500.

Our guide to National Insurance rates sets out the full rates and thresholds.

How do I pay National Insurance?

If you're an employee, National Insurance will be deducted from your salary before you receive it, along with any income tax. You can work out your deductions with our income tax calculator.

If you're self-employed, you'll usually need to pay via your self-assessment tax return.

To get a head-start on your tax return, use the Which? tax calculator to work out your tax bill and submit direct to HMRC.