Which? Best Buy wine coolers
Want a wine cooler that's accurate and will keep your bottles securely stored without potentially damaging fluctuations in temperature that could spoil your wine? Our expert lab tests reveal the best wine coolers on the market.
If you're looking for a new wine cooler, how do you know which models will keep your reds and whites securely stored at a stable temperature and which could leave you with spoiled wine that's been left too warm or too cold? We’ve tested the best-selling and most popular wine coolers to find the ones that can maintain an accurate temperature, and help keep your wine in the best condition.
- We run dozens of tests, so you can be sure your Best Buy wine cooler will cool your wine quickly and keep it stably chilled at all times
- We reveal the true energy costs – your wine cooler is running around the clock, so we'll tell you how much each cooler will add to your energy bill
- We expose the inaccurate chillers, to help you steer clear of wine coolers that could ruin your wine due to fluctuating temperatures inside
How we uncover the best wine coolers
A great wine cooler will chill your wine quickly, keep it at the temperature you've set it to around the clock, run quietly and won't hike up your energy bills. We've tested wine coolers from the leading brands - including Baumatic, Caple, Haier, Liebherr and Stoves - to reveal the Best Buys that stand out from the crowd.
- Accuracy of the thermostat We test to see if a wine cooler will actually stay at the temperature you set it to. The best will stick close to the target temperature while the worst could potentially freeze your wine.
- Temperature stability This is crucial to ensuring wine is at its best when you come to drink it, so we turn the temperature in our test lab up to see whether each wine cooler can keep its cool during a heat wave. We then turn the temperature down to see whether it will keep your wine evenly chilled during frosty winter nights.
- Chilling power We time how long it takes to chill room temperature bottles of wine down to 12°C. The best chill quickly, meaning you won't have to wait ages to enjoy your wine at the ideal temperature.
- Energy use We measure how much energy a wine cooler uses to chill and keep a steady temperature. We then work out whether it's an energy-saver or an energy-guzzler in relation to its bottle capacity, and also calculate how much it will add to your yearly energy bills.
- Ease of use and cleaning The best wine coolers are easy to load with bottles, have shelves that slide out smoothly and are simple to program. They're also easy to clean. Our ease-of-use and cleaning tests are designed to separate the models that are a pleasure to use from those that will eventually start to annoy you.
Wine cooler reviews you can trust
Which? tests the latest single and dual zone, freestanding and integrated wine coolers from big appliance names, such as Baumatic, Candy, Caple, CDA, Currys, Haier, Liebherr, Stoves and Husky.
We’ve come across good and bad wine coolers from the same manufacturer, and we've found that a brand name is no guarantee of a Best Buy. And this is where our reviews come in.
Which? is independent – we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
Discover the benefits of a Which? membership, and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help.