This guide covers the major pregnancy milestones to help you prepare for having a baby, with information about maternity care, work and choosing where to give birth.
From getting that positive pregnancy test to coping with early symptoms and booking your first scan, these 12 weeks are the start of your journey to parenthood.
- Week 6: first steps and symptoms
- Week 8: booking appointment
- Week 10: pelvic floor exercises and prescriptions
- Week 12: dating scan
Download our checklist: 9 things to do in trimester one
This is your guide to the middle stage of pregnancy and starting to plan for the weeks ahead. Get advice on choosing where to give birth, arranging your maternity leave and buying what you’ll need for your newborn baby.
- Week 14: announcing your pregnancy
- Week 16: shopping for your baby
- Week 18: mid-pregnancy scan
- Week 20: planning for the birth
- Week 22: arranging maternity leave
- Week 24: preparing for life with a newborn
- Week 26: at home or away
Download our checklist: 9 things to do in trimester two
Find the right place to give birth
Discover whether birth in a local labour ward, birth centre or at home would be best for you.Find your best fit
On the home stretch, you’re likely to be filled with questions as you experience new symptoms and prepare for the arrival of your baby. Here’s all you need to know about making your birth plan, packing a hospital bag and watching out for the first signs of labour.
- Week 28: midwife appointment
- Week 30: kicks count
- Week 32: packing your hospital bag
- Week 34: writing a birth plan
- Week 36: final preparations
- Week 38: induction and elective c-section
- Week 40: after your due date
Download our checklist: 9 things to do in trimester three