Which? uses cookies to improve our sites and by continuing you agree to our cookies policy

If your relative would like to remain living at home, but needs help to do so, arranging home help or home care (also known as ‘domiciliary care’) might be the answer. Find out about the options for financing care for older people who wish to live independently, including local authority funding, self-funding and equity release.

Use our Care services directory to find care homes and domiciliary care anywhere in the UK. You can also find support groups for people affected by dementia.

If you're wondering what kind of help would be best for your relative or friend, our Care advice tool can give you some guidance about housing options, day-to-day living arrangements and how to pay for care.

In this guide

Real-life stories

Useful organisations and websites

For financing care at home we have collected in one place the most relevant organisations and charities for your reference. We explain who they are and give you phone numbers and website addresses.
Learn more about Useful organisations and websites