We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies. You can understand more and change your cookies preferences here.

Financing care
Learn about funding options for home care, home adaptations and care homes, together with Attendance Allowance, gifting assets and Power of Attorney.
Housing options
Consider your options and learn about sheltered housing, retirement villages and care homes.
End of life
Guidance on the practical and emotional aspects at the end of life, from planning end of life care to arranging a funeral and coping with bereavement.

Ongoing care and support

After being discharged from hospital you may need ongoing care and support, either at home or in a care home.
4 min read
In this article
Who will help during and after hospital discharge? Taking medication Mobility aids and home adaptations
Allowances for you and your loved one

Who will help during and after hospital discharge?

There are a number of healthcare and social care professionals who are involved in supporting and helping patients after they leave hospital. It should be the case that, if there is more than one professional involved, they all work closely together. Try to get a single contact point for following up on any queries you may have relating to your care, or that of a loved one if you are the carer.

Temporary care

The NHS provides free temporary care for up to six weeks at home or in a residential care home following a hospital stay. This is called NHS Intermediate Care.

This temporary care is arranged by the hospital social work team before you’re discharged.

Find out more in our guide to NHS Intermediate Care.

Receive expert guidance on caring for older people. Our emails are free and you can stop them any time.

District nursing care

District nurses work closely with GPs and can make regular visits to patients and their families at home. They provide help, advice and support with the practical aspects of nursing care, including wound dressings, injections, taking out stitches and helping with managing stomas, catheters or feeding tubes.

District nurses can also arrange for certain equipment – such as a commode, bedpan, urine bottle or special mattress – to be used at home if needed. They can also assess your care needs in your home and refer you to help from other healthcare professionals. In some areas, district nurses can visit in the evening and at night-time.

If you need district nursing support, the ward nurse or discharge coordinator will contact the local district nursing service  to arrange a home visit. They will also send the district nurse information about the care received in hospital.

GP support

On leaving hospital, a copy of the discharge plan should be provided to the patient's GP or the information may be sent directly online. Check with the discharge team which method is being used. The letter or online report will tell the GP about the hospital treatment and future care needs, including any prescribed medicines and any changes to these. If there's a letter, make sure it gets to the GP practice as soon possible.

Taking medication

If any medicines are prescribed, the hospital doctors will arrange for a one- to two-weeks’ supply. If you think there is any potential confusion about when the medication(s) should be taken, make sure you clearly understand what needs to be taken when and also about any potential side effects. Ensure either know who to contact if any further advice is needed about the medications.

For medicines that need to be continued, ask your GP for a repeat prescription. GP surgeries may require up to 48 hours’ notice for repeat prescriptions, so it’s important for these to be ordered before the medicine runs out. In addition, if the pharmacy is packing the drugs into dosette boxes, another day or two might be added.

Mobility aids and home adaptations

If the person leaving hospital has any mobility issues and would benefit from home adaptations or equipment, they will need to be assessed by an occupational therapist (OT). The ward nurse, their key worker or a liaison nurse can arrange for the OT to visit them if this hasn’t happened as part of the needs assessment.

The OT will also need to visit their home to get an idea of the mobility difficulties they might face. A family member or friend can request to be present at the visit (with the patient’s permission). Once an OT has assessed the person’s needs, they’ll arrange for any mobility aids or other equipment needed to be available when they go home.

If you need to find an occupational therapist or physiotherapist yourself, see occupational therapy and physiotherapy.

Remember that home adaptations may take longer to organise, so as long as it’s deemed safe to go home, they may be discharged on the basis that the adaptations will be carried out once they’re home.

They may have to pay for these services, depending on their savings or income. A financial assessment will be undertaken by the local authority if your loved one is deemed to be eligible for care following a needs assessment.

Use our directory to find local home care agencies anywhere across the UK.

Allowances for you and your loved one

If you’re planning to take care of an older loved one when they return home from hospital, you may qualify for Carer’s Allowance or other benefits. You are also entitled to an assessment of your own needs, called a carer’s assessment.

If your loved one's needs have changed, they may be entitled to allowances they weren’t entitled to before. For example, they may now be entitled to an Attendance Allowance if aged over 65 years or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) if under the age of 65.

Further reading

Discharge from hospital

Being told you're ready to leave hospital is positive news. We explain the discharge procedure to help you return home.

Home care services

If you’re finding it difficult to manage, home care can provide the support you need to stay independent at home.

Last updated: 06 Nov 2020