Best double glazing companies
Independent double glaziers
By Liz Ransome-Croker
Article 3 of 5
We've asked more than 2,000 double glazing customers about their experiences with buying and having double glazing installed by big-name companies and independents.
83% of the 2,155 we spoke to turned to independents to buy and install their double glazing, instead of the large household names Anglian, Everest and Safestyle. But how does their service differ?
Our top-scoring double glazier got an impressive customer score of 84%, while the bottom just 54%. That's 30 points less.
As well as asking people how satisfied they are with a company and whether the would recommend it, which is what combines to make up our customer score, we asked people rate different aspects from 'very poor' to 'excellent'.
It included important aspects of the double glazing buying and installation process, such as knowledge of the salesperson, quality of products and installers communication.
Independent double glaziers ratings
What do we mean by independents?
Independents as a group primarily includes:
- local independent double glazing companies;
- independents not in someone's local area, but not a nationally-recognised brand.
It may also include local builders and joiners, who people are more likely to have used if you're having a home renovation, such as a new extension.
83% of the people we spoke to chose to use an independent. The main reasons were because:
- They are local to me, so I could easily arrange to visit them (58%)
- They weren’t pushy or intimidating/ didn’t pressure me (55%)
- They had a good reputation (49%)
- I like using independent companies as opposed to national companies (48%)
- I had used them before/ knew them (36%)
Rating the independents in this way is not to say that no one has had a bad experience. It's a varied group with a number of different types of companies, traders and situations.
But this at least gives you an idea of the average experience people had, and how that compares to the service offered by the household names.
If you want to find out more about using an independent, the process of buying double glazing and the different types, visit our page on choosing double glazing.
If you're keen to go ahead and find an independent near you, you can use our Which? Trusted Traders service. All our approved traders have had their backgrounds, practices and processes scrutinised, so you know they'll be reliable.
Independents customer comments
To give you real insight into how people feel about using independents, we've collected together some of their comments on the buying and installation process.
Which? Trusted Traders
At Which? Trusted Traders, we do the hard work for you. All our traders are put through extensive background checks before going on our books. We look at:
- their background - how long they have been trading, whether they have liquidised at any point, and whether they're financially sound now;
- whether they have the right qualifications and accreditations for the job they do;
- their website and paperwork to ensure it gives the right amount of information and contact details;
- whether they have adequate insurance for the work they undertake.
These factors all help to protect you against rogue traders. All our assessors are ex-Trading Standards, so have years of experience in spotting reputable traders and discounting the dodgy ones.
All traders using are logo must also agree to our code of conduct, which means no cold calling, giving customers fair and appropriate contracts, and being signed up to an Alternate Dispute Resolution service in case there are any difficulties.
Take the stress out of finding a recommended trader in your area by visiting Which? Trusted Traders.