If you receive a parking ticket on private land and the parking company is not affiliated to a trade association - such as the British Parking Association (BPA) or the Independent Parking Committee - it won't be able to obtain your details from the DVLA.

This means that the private company will not be able to pursue you to pay the parking ticket. 

Download Letter

[Your address]

[Parking company address]

Reference: [Parking Charge Notice number | Date of issue |Vehicle registration]


Dear Sir/ Madam,

I am writing to formally challenge the above Parking Charge Notice. 

On [date] my vehicle was issued with a Parking Charge Notice at the [name & address of car park] for the reason [offence and code and official reason for issue as stated on the Parking Charge Notice.]

My challenge is on the basis that breach of your company's parking terms did not take place. [State the reasons why]

Please find enclosed evidence to this effect, in the form of [if evidence is available, state the details and why it backs up your case.]

For this reason, I look forward to receiving notification within 28 days that the Parking Charge Notice has been cancelled. 


Yours faithfully,

[Your name and signature]

Download Letter

Find the right letter

Please tell us what you think of the Which? Consumer Rights website.

Your feedback is vital in helping us improve this site. All data will be treated confidentially. This survey will take approximately 5 minutes to complete.

Please take our survey so we can improve our website for you and others like you.