Use this list to ensure you are aware of all aspects of self-funding a care home.
If you wish to download this checklist, please scroll down to the foot of the page and click on our PDF link.
Care Needs Care Now Campaign
The care system is failing to provide the support that we and our loved ones need. We're calling for action on care. Help us confront the care crisis by backing our campaign now.
- Is your relative claiming all the benefits and allowances they are entitled to, to help meet the cost of care?
- Check if they are entitled to attendance allowance or personal independence payment (PIP).
- Is your relative potentially eligible to receive ?
- Has your relative consulted a qualified independent financial adviser about making the most of investments and income?
- Has your relative chosen a care home that is affordable over the long-term?
- Would the local authority assist with the fees of the care home your relative has chosen should they need to fall back on local authority funding in the future?
- Have they had a from the local authority social services department?
- Your relative should think twice before gifting assets and property or giving anything away to reduce capital. There can be serious consequences.
Page last reviewed: February 2017
Next review due: July 2018