Coronavirus Read our latest advice

We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies. You can understand more and change your cookies preferences here.

Financing care
Learn about funding options for home care, home adaptations and care homes, together with Attendance Allowance, gifting assets and Power of Attorney.
Housing options
Consider your options and learn about sheltered housing, retirement villages and care homes.
End of life
Guidance on the practical and emotional aspects at the end of life, from planning end of life care to arranging a funeral and coping with bereavement.

Financial assessment calculations for residential care

The financial assessment for residential care is governed by strict guidelines. Here, we give you an overview of the most important elements.
3 min read
In this article
What’s included in a financial assessment for residential care? What isn’t included in a financial assessment for residential care?

What’s included in a financial assessment for residential care?


The local authority assessor takes the following financial information into consideration.


The value of your home


This is the amount of money you would be left with if your home had been sold and all debts, including the mortgage, had been paid. If you jointly own the property, only your share will be taken into consideration.


The value of your home won’t be taken into account in a financial assessment for residential care if:

  • you own the property and your partner is still living there
  • you have a close relative living in the home who is incapacitated (they receive or would qualify for a disability benefit), aged 60 or over, or is a child you’re responsible for who is less than 18 years old.

The local authority has discretion to ignore the value of the property in special circumstances, such as if it’s the only home of your long-time carer.


If your partner wants to move to a different property or also decides to move to a care home and you jointly own your home, you can use their share of the sale proceeds to help them buy another property or pay for the costs of their care.


If your partner dies and the house is sold, your share of the property would then be taken into account as part of your assets.

Use our calculator to find out the cost of a care home in your area and what financial support is available.

Your total capital


This is the amount of money you have, added together, minus any debts. Any joint accounts are generally treated as an equal split. This will include:

Checklist (ticks)
  • Bank and building society accounts 
  • National Savings Certificates and Ulster Saving Certificates 
  • Premium Bonds 
  • Stocks and shares 
  • Shares in a family business 
  • Trust funds 
  • Regular savings and investments, including Isas 
  • Other properties you own.

Weekly personal pension


This means private and company pensions. If you have a spouse and a private pension, half of your pension can be passed over to your spouse and won’t be taken into consideration for the means test.


Weekly state benefits and pensions


The payments you receive from any benefits are also taken into consideration in a financial assessment, including the following:

Checklist (ticks)

Any other weekly income


This could include rental income and any annuities, such as an immediate needs annuity.

What isn’t included in a financial assessment for residential care?

Among other things, the following won’t be included:

Checklist (crosses)


You should seek advice from an independent financial adviser (IFA), such as from a fully listed member of the Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA). This is especially the case if you have complex financial arrangements, such as money in trust, certain bonds or compensation payments, or shares in a family business.


Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA)

By choosing an accredited member of the Society, you can be assured of someone with the expertise to best understand your needs to provide advice that is right for you and your family.

For advice and information, call:

0333 202 0454


For more guidance on finding an IFA, see how to find a financial adviser in Which? Money.

Receive expert guidance on caring for older people. Our emails are free and you can stop them any time.

Further reading

Self-funding a care home

We explain how you can pay for your care, what happens if your money runs out and getting financial advice.

Care home fees

Care home fees vary across the UK. It also depends on the type of care home you are looking for and your care needs.

Last updated: 02 Sep 2019