Which? magazine is the UK’s bestselling monthly, trusted by more than 600,000 subscribers. It’s packed with reviews, advice, investigations and news – our aim is to make individuals as powerful as the organisations they deal with in their daily lives.
If you’re not yet a Which? member, we’re offering a sneak peek at the reviews and investigations that are featured in the latest issue.
Which? magazine January 2021
Britain’s banks are under attack, finds Chiara Cavaglieri. Cases of remote banking fraud, where criminals hack their way into an account or mobile banking app to steal money, surged last year. Mobile banking fraud soared by 132%, online banking fraud by 24%, according to trade body UK Finance. More than £125m was stolen.
In this month’s magazine, we have worked with independent security experts 6point6 to rate the largest current-account providers on four main criteria: encryption login, account management and navigation. Our security test has revealed a big gap between the best and worst.
Meanwhile, we reveal the appliances built to last. With data on more than 90,000 appliances from 13,274 Which? members, Martin Pratt reveals the brands that can last almost three decades – and those that will barely make one.
Our survey found enormous differences between the average lifespan of appliances from different brands. The difference between a dishwasher that lasts 13 years and one that lasts, on average, almost a decade more boils down to the brand name etched on the plastic shell.
Also in this month’s magazine:
- Your guide to home improvements in 2021 Our homes became more important than ever in 2020. But how much will a new kitchen, bathroom or extension cost, and is it really a good time to spend? Sarah Ingrams finds out.
- The trouble with beef Is cutting back on meat and dairy the key to a more responsible diet? Shefalee Loth investigates the impact what we eat has on the planet.
- Get the best deal on TV, broadband and mobile Providers now have to let you know the best deals on offer when your contract ends – but you can still do better, says Yvette Fletcher.
- The kit to get you fit at home Jake Massey reveals which budget brand joins pricey Peloton at the top of the exercise bike table in our survey of the best gym equipment brands.
- Drink great coffee at home You can recreate your café favourites from the comfort of your kitchen with an excellent coffee machine, says Rebecca Duff.
From the editor
As clichéd as it sounds, the new year is a time when many of us reflect and look to make changes to our lives. We vow to sort out our finances, improve our domestic environment, eat better or get into shape. Whichever of these is your priority, this issue of Which? has something for you.
This month’s magazine can help you bank online with confidence – even if you have to switch to a provider with better security first – and get a cheaper broadband or mobile deal.
It can help you find appliances from more reliable brands and budget for overdue home improvements – is this the year to get that new kitchen or extension? It can help you to have a more responsible diet and choose the best home exercise equipment. It can even help you to sleep better. New year, new you – only without an extortionate gym membership in sight.
Personally, editing this issue has left me with a few resolutions of my own: to eat less beef, buy some weights, renegotiate our broadband contract and get around to replacing our dying oven with a Bosch, which will come with an estimated lifespan of 29 years according to our research. Here’s to a year of renewal in 2021.
Harry Rose, Editor, Which? magazine
Which? member benefits
Interested in Which? If you choose to become a member and join today, you’ll be treated to a host of perks, including:
- The latest product reviews and test results from our test labs
- All our Best Buy and Don’t Buy verdicts
- Which? Reviews smartphone app – ratings on the go for more than 8,000 products
- Which? magazine delivered to your door each month
- Special member deals on Which? Legal.
How do I subscribe to Which?
Our Join Which? page tells you everything you need to know to start receiving Which? magazine to your door and the additional benefits of becoming a member. Or you can find out more by calling our member services team on 029 2267 0000.