Best Buy carpet cleaners
Our top-scoring models have proven they can be relied upon to give a good clean and dry quickly too.
Buy the wrong carpet cleaner and you carpets could be left looking as tired and dull as they were before, or so waterlogged they'll take days to dry.
The models that top our tests, however, will get your carpets looking cleaner and brighter than before, loosening grime and sucking up muck so that they look fresh and clean. They'll suck up more suds as they go too, so that your carpets are left near-dry.
We rigorously assess each carpet cleaner we review, and only award our Best Buy logo to models that truly excel:
- We test cleaning power on three pieces of soiled carpet - the worst models leave carpets almost as filthy as they started, while the best lift off almost all the grime.
- As well as general grime, we test each carpet cleaner's ability to remove dried-in red wine, coffee and mud from light-coloured carpets.
- The best carpet cleaners can clean right up to your skirting board, while the worst we've tested leave a large strip of uncleaned carpet around the edges of the room
How we uncover the best carpet cleaners
No one tests carpet cleaners as thoroughly as we do at Which?. You can be sure that a Best Buy carpet cleaner will be able to tackle filthy carpets leaving them refreshed, clean and not sopping wet.
- Carpet cleaning: We assess cleaned carpet samples with a spectrometer to see how much dirt is left. Marks are deducted for uneven results, such as stripes being left along the carpet.
- Dryness: we check how dry carpets are after one hour, five hours and 24 hours to see if you'll be left tiptoeing around the room for an age after cleaning.
- Ease of use: We assess instructions for their clarity, and rate each machine on key criteria, such as how easy it is to assemble, fill and empty the water tank and push the cleaner around.
- Specifications: We don't just take the manufacturer's word for it. We do all our own measurements, including the length of the carpet cleaner's cord and nozzle, and how much the machine weighs when the water tank is empty and full.
Carpet cleaner reviews you can trust
We test carpet cleaners from all the big names, such as Bissell, Vax, Numatic and Rug Doctor, as well as lesser-known brands and cheap supermarket options. The brands that sit at the top and the bottom of our results table might surprise you - so before you buy on name alone, make sure you look at our in-depth reviews.
Which? is independent – we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We're not influenced by third parties and we don't accept freebies from product manufacturers or retailers. We buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
Not yet a Which? member? Join Which? and you'll receive access to all of our exclusive online content - including all our reviews.