Top five best range cookers for 2021
A great range cooker will not only look impressive but also turn out tasty, perfectly cooked meals for years to come.
You might want one with a traditional Aga-style look, but it's worth making sure you can trust it to do justice to your culinary efforts.
We've picked out five of our favourite range cookers to help take the guesswork out of choosing which one to buy.
Pricing, recommendations and test scores correct as of November 2020.
And here are three range cookers to avoid
Range cookers are pricey, so you might expect them to all be good. Unfortunately, this isn't the case.
We've found some with inaccurate ovens, awful grills and sluggish hobs. One of our worst models costs around £1,000 more than our cheapest Best Buy, so it's definitely worth doing your research.
See below for three models to steer clear of.
Top five things to consider when choosing a range cooker
If you're in the market for a new range cooker but don't quite know what you're looking for, start with these five considerations:
- Type: choose from gas, electric, dual-fuel (gas hob and electric ovens) or electric induction. What you go for may be influenced by the fuel supply you have available to your home, as switching will mean extra expense.
- Price: while you can pick up some decent range cookers for less than £1,000, the best we've tested cost more than this.
- Size: most are 90cm, 100cm or 110cm wide. Small range cookers generally have two ovens, a grill and a five or six-burner hob, while larger ones tend to have four separate compartments, comprising two ovens, a large grill compartment, and a heated warming drawer.
- Capacity: bear in mind that stated capacity usually includes areas you can't use, such as the space beneath the lowest shelf. You can find out how space you can actually cook with by reading our reviews.
- Features: think about which features you need or want most. For example, you might want a cooker with a self-cleaning programme, or telescopic runners that support the oven shelves and help them to glide out smoothly.