Best Buy steam irons
Best Buy irons and steam generator irons make light work of your laundry. Scroll down for our Best Buy recommendations.
Whether you do piles of ironing each week or only iron when absolutely necessary, a good steam iron or steam generator iron can save you time and effort. However, we’ve seen plenty that’ll struggle to get your clothes wrinkle-free - even after hours at the ironing board.
We've tested more than 150 irons ranging from £10 to over £350 to uncover the models you can rely on to get through your laundry quickly and easily. We've discovered you don't need to pay over the odds to get a great iron - we've found Best Buy irons that cost less than £30.
All Best Buy models produce great results, are easy to use and won’t get clogged up with limescale.
- We spend 1,920 hours each year testing steam irons and generators on our custom-built rig to find the models that will consistently steam powerfully, so you’ll know which irons will still be pumping out plenty of steam for months to come.
- Each iron is put to work on jeans, cotton shirts and cotton-blend skirts to reveal which models will save you time and smooth out deep creases.
- We name and shame the worst steam irons as Don't Buys to help you avoid models that make ironing harder.
How we uncover the best steam irons
We test all of the top-selling steam irons and generators, including supermarket own-brand models.
We’ve been testing irons for years, and our unique tests are more thorough than anyone else's. We put each iron through more than 50 assessments so we can tell you everything you need to know. Here are some of the ways we check whether they’re up to the mark:
- Each iron is tested on a range of fabrics on our automated ironing bench to see how good it is at smoothing creases with only a few passes of the soleplate.
- To see how irons cope with limescale, we repeatedly pump steam from the iron for over 48 hours and assess how much the steam level drops. Irons that easily clog up with limescale will stop producing as much steam over time and won’t be as effective at getting rid of deep creases.
- We rub each iron's soleplate with abrasive materials to see how well it withstands chips, scrapes and knocks. Scratched or damaged soleplates can drag across fabrics, slowing down your ironing or even damaging your clothes.
Steam iron reviews you can trust
We’ve found top-scoring and poor-performing models from all of these big names. So as well as the Best Buy models, we can also reveal the Don't Buy steam irons you should avoid.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
Join Which? and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help.