We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies as per our policy which also explains how to change your preferences.

More from Which?

Other sources of information relating to this subject on the Which? website.
Financial advice explained
Savings and Isa comparison tables

Age UK

Charity providing information, advice and support for older people.
Telephone: 0800 169 6565
Website: www.ageuk.org.uk

Care Aware

A free service specialising in funding advice for older people in the UK.
Helpline: 0161 707 1107
Website: www.careaware.co.uk

Citizens Advice Bureaux (CAB)

National network of free advice centres that can give advice on benefits and other options for financing care.
Telephone: 08454 04 05 06 (Consumer helpline)
Website: www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Disability Rights UK (DRUK)

This helpline provides information around the national eligibility criteria for care funding, assessments, support planning, the national eligibility criteria and care charges. You can also get advice on managing self-operated care packages and related legal requirements.
Telephone: 0300 5551525
email: personalbudgets@disabilityrightsuk.org
Website: www.disabilityrightsuk.org

Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC)

Free advice on housing options for people in later life. The EAC website features two sites now combined into one: HousingCare.org and FirstStop.
Telephone: 0800 377 7070
Website: www.eac.org.uk/www.housingcare.org/www.firststopcareadvice.co.uk

Equity Release Council (ERC)

Industry body for equity release providers. Has a code of conduct and can deal with complaints about members.
Telephone: 0844 6697085
Website: www.equityreleasecouncil.com

Independent Age

A charity that offers expertise for older people on social care, benefits, befriending and other social support through their advice service.
Advice line: 0800 319 6789
Website: www.independentage.org


More information about VAT relief for disabled people is on this page.

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (LITRG)

Visit this page for a more detailed overview of the VAT rules for disabled and older people.
See also the Disability and Tax site for disabled people and carers, which gives information, help and resources for anyone taking on a personal assistant.

Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA)

Find an independent financial adviser in your area that specialises in issues affecting older people – including funding long-term care, savings, pensions and equity release.
Telephone: 0845 303 2909
Website: www.societyoflaterlifeadvisers.co.uk


A charity that raises awareness of the issues surrounding debt and offers a free equity release advice service.
Telephone: 08442 641 969
Website: www.stepchange.org

Page last reviewed: April 2018